+ Reply to Thread

Thread: attempting to go the BBB method

Default attempting to go the BBB method

Just had my liner replaced 10 days ago on my 2 year old 13,700 above ground due to liner seam failure, covered under warranty.
    Last year used Bio guard stuff since that was included, first time pool owner.
    I wanted to switch to the BBB method last year but a little afraid and wanted to wait till this year to have some time to think about it.
    Main reason initially for me to switch was the fact that my liner was fading at the return jet after the first 1 1/2 and don't want that so soon again.I did add 2 silk sticks to the skimmer and shocked the pool with a 1 lb bag to get this up this year to start.
    My fill water tests before adding those items-taylor kit k-2006- borate strips on order
    CF 0.8
    PH 7.4
    Total Alk. 270
    Cal. hardness 170
    CYA 0

I also just learned about the pool calculator

3 days ago tests," i still have remnants of silk sticks in skimmer"
    CF 5.0
    PH 7.6
    total alk. 220
    CH 140
    CYA 50

I then added a quart of acid, waited an hour and tested PH, which was at 7.0.
    Added 71 oz of borax
    waited a couple hrs and ph was at 7.4

Yesterday I tested and total alk was 220 and PH was at 7.4, so I added 3 quarts of acid over a 8 hour period, brushed pool bottom a little to distribute, and put a pond pump over edge of pool shooting water across the surface, just read about aeration also.
    So in all, in a 2 day span I have added 1 gal of acid, and 2 boxes of borax and my pond pump running.
    Today I tested

FC 3.8
    PH 7.2
    TA 230-240, tested twice in different areas.
    CH 140
    CYA 55

If I understand correctly, I need about 3 gal to drop the total alk 100ppm and slowly add watching to make sure PH doesn't drop below 7.0
    so far the one gal has not done much but lower PH.
    Should I cont adding acid and at what rate and should I add borax to bring PH back up every time?Seems even with the pool pump and pond pump running it doesn't appear to raise on its own.I hate to go back and forth which seems the path I am on, kind of what I was initially worried about last year
    Thanks for any advice

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: attempting to go the BBB method

If you are trying to reduce TA, drop the pH to 6.8-7.0 and try to keep it there while aerating. Don't move pH up with Borax (or any other chemical) because the TA will come right back up with it. After reaching the TA target, stop adding acid, keep aerating and let the pH come up to your target. At that point stop aerating.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

thanks
    I was under the impression Borax wouldn't effect the TA.
    I will put the pond pump back in, I didn't think it was helping raise the PH.
    So I need to add acid to lower the TA and in effect it will lower the PH.
    Any advice on how much acid at once to add without knocking PH down past 7ppm?
    And will PH rise in a matter of days or weeks , no one is using pool yet.
    I am glad you posted, I was just contemplating adding some more borax.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Borax raises pH with little effect on TA. Baking Soda and Washing soda raise TA more.

Adding acid directly reduces pH and measured TA. Aerating causes dissolved CO2 to leave the pool water. CO2 in solution is acidic hence pH goes up.

The amount of acid required to move pH changes with other factors (TA among them). Try a quart (guess, don't measure) let it mix and see where it gets you. Don't go much lower than 6.8-7.0. Have you read Using Muriatic Acid to Safely Lower Your Pool's pH? If not, please do. It will take less acid to move pH as TA comes down.

It will take a while. Be patient. Aeration helps.

Happy to help.

Yes I did read that earlier,maybe half hour after adding the acid.
    I measured with a stainless steel measuring cup exactly 24 oz. muriatic acid around 2pm and started the small pond pump
    just checked
    PH 7.0
    Total alk still the same at 230
    for some reason that doesn't want to budge, but PH has no problem going down

+ Reply to Thread