+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arizona pool with cracks and stains.

Default Arizona pool with cracks and stains.

Hiya, I've been lurking on this forum for a year or so and it's provided me with some good information, but now I need more specific help.

The background: I bought this house with the pool a year ago. When we first viewed the house the pool was about 2/3rds empty and it looked like a swamp. By the time we moved in they had cleaned the pool up and the water was running clear. None of the pool equipment has any labels, but I've managed to figure most of it out while fixing stuff or asking my local pool supplier. Don't really know the gallons on the pool: it was a diving pool but the board was busted so I took it out.

Now my problems: the finish on the pool has some cracks, but I'm not even sure what the finish is let alone how to repair it. The other problem is black stains on the pool bottom: are they algae or something else?

I still have to figure out how to post pics, because I'm sure they would actually help out some.

Anyway, thanks a bunch.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Y Halo Thar!

Thank you Watermom, I've sent the pictures to the email address.

Detail

Enhanced color

Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-30-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: add pics

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. The finish is some sort of washed river gravel finish. It appears that the cement around the pebbles has been eroded. If so, it can be replaced, but I don't know any way to repair it. You can ask locally; there may be someone in your area who's worked out a solution.

Is this your DECK surface, or your POOL surface? I've only ever seen that finish used on decks.

2. It appears you have severe copper stains. The good news? You probably won't get black or mustard algae in those locations. The bad news? It looks like crap and is difficult to remove. Acid washing will remove, but damages your plaster in the process.

PS. If it is deck, check the spaces between the stones. If it's cement, it's hard to repair. If it's epoxy . . . it can kinda, sorta be repaired.

Default Re: Arizona pool with cracks and stains.

Thanks PoolDoc! Those enhanced pictures are awesome, I was afraid they might be too washed out when I sent them.

The pebble stuff is the POOL surface, I just got close to the first step with the camera. Despite the cracking there doesn't appear to be a leak yet, so I'm wondering if coating it with something this winter might be a good option.
    IG free form pool.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Arizona pool with cracks and stains.

I don't think it's cracking. Rather the binder holding the pebbles in place has eroded or dissolved. You might ask around locally, and see if you can find out what that surface is made of and how it's installed. If you can find that out, you may be able to find out what your repair options are.

+ Reply to Thread