+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie 14' round intex

Default Newbie 14' round intex

I just filled it added 3 doses of bleach, 4 doses of borax. Just got test kit and my pH is 8.2, alkalinity 50ppm, no reading (clear) for chlorine/bromine, and 30 ppm hardness. I know i should have tested be for i dosed with borax but i didn't get the test kit until the next day. Please advise on next steps as i believe i need muriatic acid to lower the ph.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Newbie 14' round intex

What test kit are you using? Even after adding bleach, you still have a chlorine reading of 0? How much bleach did you add at a time and how much later did you test the chlorine? Did you test the pH right after you added the bleach? What is your volume?

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

Test kit = Hth 6
    Filled up Sunday night into Monday morning. I added the bleach 3/4 cup x 3 on monday morning, added Borax 3/4 cup x 4 on Monday night and tested water today around 1230pm. Intex says the pool is just under 4000 gallons. I'm also running all the stock filters and pumps. Thanks in advance, this forum rocks!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Have you seen our Super Simple Start Up Recipe guide? http://pool9.net/ssr/ It would be a good way for you to start since you have a freshly filled pool.

Do you have the drops-based 6-Way kit or the 6-Way test strips! (Fingers crossed that you have the drops-based!)

That link keeps saying I don't have permission but I followed the 7 day start up plan for intex pools that's posted in this forum. Yes I have the drops test kit. Oh and the filter has been running since yesterday morning.

I just logged out to see that link. Yes, the Super simple is what I followed which called for the bleach and borax dosing

The best way to follow the SS recipe is to use the dichlor. (It also gives you the option to use bleach initially while you get some dichlor.) But, while you are only using bleach, you'll have trouble keeping a chlorine reading as you are finding.

Do you have a Sam's nearby where you can buy Dichlor? Dichlor has CYA in it along with chlorine. The reason you can't keep any chlorine in the pool is because you have no CYA in there. (Cyanuric acid, also called stabilizer. Kind of like 'sunscreen' for your chlorine. Without enough in the pool, your chlorine is quickly lost to the sun.)

We don't have any Sam's clubs around me and I was afraid to buy it from Target because of the warning saying it might not be pure. This is the one they sell .
    http://m.target.com/p/kem-tek-3-inch...4/-/A-14491644

Yeah, don't get it from Target. If you don't have a Sam's club, order the Dichlor from Amazon.

http://astore.amazon.com/poolbooks/1...g=UTF8&node=15

Yeah, that's what I thought. I was going to drive to Sam's Club in new jersey this evening unless you say I can get away with waiting for Amazon to deliver. Thanks again for all your help.

+ Reply to Thread