+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Newbie 14' round intex

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Newbie 14' round intex

You can just use bleach for a few days until you can get some dichlor but you may have to add bleach a couple times per day since you don't have any CYA in the water. (I don't know how far of a drive it would be for you.)

If you have Amazon Prime, you can get things delivered within two days and free shipping. I think the yearly membership for that is $99. Definitely worth it for me since I order from them a lot. Gets me my stuff fast and no shipping. I definitely get my $99 back and then some.

And, by the way --- you are very welcome!

I didn't make it out of work in time for Sam's. So I joined prime and I'll have everything tomorrow. I dosed with bleach last night 4 x 3/4 cups and I'll do it again later today. I'm hoping that will be enough to hold me over until tomorrow. Again, many thanks!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Good deal.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

. . . membership updated.

WaterMom wouldn't have known it, but because I keep up with the Kem-Tech line, I can tell you that if Target is selling EXACTLY the product pictures in the link you provide, that would be fine. But, it's trichlor, not dichlor, so you'd have to buy a floater to put the tabs in.

If you do go to Target, check the label when you get there and make sure it shows at least 89% available chlorine. If it does, they are selling the correct product.

If you go to Sams, this is what you want: http://pool9.net/sams-dichlor24/

. . . membership updated.
    Last edited by Watermom; 05-31-2014 at 07:33 PM. Reason: add bracket to make hot link live

Thanks Ben. I actually have everything listed except muriatic acid. I even have the 2006 test kit so I'm ready to go. My current readings are.....
    Chlorine 5
    Brom 10
    Ph 7.2-7.4
    Alk 40
    Hard 90 ( it didn't turn red after the first 5 drops so I'm not sure if this test is accurate)
    Cya 40 ( honestly I could still see the black dot at the bottom of the test tube so im not sure if this is accurate)

I was going to add 1/2 cup dose of dichlor and borax this evening as it seems like the 3/4 dose was too much for the 4k gallons. I would love to hear if I'm on track or did I derail and I just don't know it yet? Thanks again for the help and setting up this awesome site. Now if I could only figure out a way to cure my color blindness.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ You're fine.

+ Watch the K2006 videos, especially the hardness and CYA videos:
    http://pool9.net/tk-guide/
    http://pool9.net/tk-interfere/

+ Don't think about bromine -- ignore any bromine results or calculations.

+ On an Intex, hardness doesn't matter, unless it's too high: your hardness is not too high.

+ You don't have any CYA, unless you have ALREADY used some dichlor or trichlor, or added stabilizer directly. (Watch the videos!)

+ All the tests, except the pH test, look for a major color change, rather than reading a tint. You *can* get a pH meter, if you really need one:
    http://pool9.net/ph-meter/

+ Relax! If the water's fairly clear and not green, and the sides aren't slippery/slimy (an early sign of algae) -- you'll be OK.

Ok, cool. My water is crystal clear and no signs of anything slippery. How long do I continue to dose at night with Dichlor and borax? Is it just for the first 7 days?

I need to edit that page -- but here are the two lines that describe what you do AFTER start-up:
    + At the first sign or algae, or slippery sides of the pool (pre-algae) add 4 doses of bleach in the evening, IN ADDITION to your regular dichlor dose.

+ Test the chlorine and pH each morning; if chlorine is below 2 ppm, add 1/2 dose of dichlor; if the pH is below 7.0, add 4 doses of borax. If the pH is above 8.0, skip borax additions till it goes below 7.4.

Ok, got it. Thanks again for all the help.

You're welcome.

+ Reply to Thread