+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Tampa, FL

Default Hello from Tampa, FL

Hello, I'm new to the forum, here to research saltwater pool equipment as I'm considering converting my in-ground pool.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Hello from Tampa, FL

Welcome to the Pool Forum! Instead of using the search feature that is part of the forum software, it is better to use the Google search that is in the bottom of posts written by me or PoolDoc. That will search through all of the posts on the forum and on our sister website www.poolsolutions.com. Until your registration is completed, you will have to log out first to be able to see the rest of the forum, however. Only a temporary convenience.

Hope you find some information that will be helpful to you.

Thanks for the welcome, I've already learned a ton just reading through the threads here. I've ordered the more comprehensive test kit you guys recommend, so as soon as that arrives I'm hope to ask some more "educated" questions LOL

I was completely unaware that you can add salt to a "normal" filtration system rather than having to use a SWGC, so that's an option I now want to thoroughly investigate.

I bought a house with a pool about a year ago, and just purchased a used DE filter (thrilled to get rid of the cartridge filter that came with the pool), so I'm having to re-do my plumbing anyways... I'm mainly looking to reduce maintenance time. Right now I'm researching and trying to decide which would be better for me; just an in-line chlorinator like the Pentair models, or a SWGC.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Just be aware, that long-term use of a chlorinator with Trichlor tabs can be an issue. Those tabs have CYA in them. Over time, your CYA can build up very high. Most people are unaware that the higher your CYA level is in your pool, the higher you have to keep your chlorine level to ward off algae. (Take a look at the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in either my or PoolDoc's signatures for more about the correlation between CYA and chlorine.)

Let us know if you have any other questions you would like help with.

Yeah, I have no clue what my CYA level is at the moment; I'm guessing super low at the rate my pool is eating through chlorine in this heat. One of the reasons I've been considering investing in a SWCG.

Soon as that kit gets delivered, that's the first thing I'm checking.

Are there tabs made for those inline chlorinators that do not contain CYA?

Quote Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
    Are there tabs made for those inline chlorinators that do not contain CYA?
    Nope. They all have CYA in them. And some of them also have copper in them!! You do NOT want copper in your pool! Contrary to popular belief, it is not chlorine that stains things and causes blonde hair to turn green, it is copper!

HMMMMM... Well, that may make the difference between the inline vs SWCG decision then. Bummer, as the inline is so much more economical.

I may wait to make the decision after I test my CYA level. See what I'm starting off with.

Err... am I still under suspicion of being a bot? lol

Quote Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
    Err... am I still under suspicion of being a bot? lol
    No, LOL, but this is way the forum is set up. If you want to escape having your posts have to go through moderation, you can become a subscriber if you are interested. (Link in my signature below.)

You don't have to have a chlorinator or an SWCG. You can simply manage your pool's chlorine yourself. That is what most of us do. It is easy and takes no more than 5 minutes per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    It is easy and takes no more than 5 minutes per day.
    I know, and I did really well with the pool last year. But a rather crazy and inconsistent work schedule this year has affected my pool maintenance quite a bit (haven't even gotten to swim much, and I LOVE the water), so I'm trying to automate as much as possible, as economically as possible.

Is there a way to keep CYA in balance if you want to run a high CYA level and also use an inline chlorinator?

Can you use granulated chlorine in any inline reactors?

+ Reply to Thread