+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new user - Super-Simple pool chemistry for Intex questions

Default new user - Super-Simple pool chemistry for Intex questions

Hi

Just want to say that this is a great site with great information for Intex owners. I just bought an Intex 16' x 48" Ultra frame and will follow the Super-Simple pool chemistry recipe. I just wanted to clarify a few things:

OK, so the 7 Day start up plan with bleach sounds like it's assuming the user doesn't have Dichlor on hand. If Dichlor is available can I just start with it instead of the bleach? Or should I follow the 7 day start up with bleach and after 7 days switch to Dichlor. If I can start with Dichlor directly what is the recommended starting dosage?

Once using Dichlor, is there ever a need to use plain bleach except for maybe shock or trying to deal with an issue?

I'm just trying to do as much research as I can first and haven't even begun my ground prep. I'm starting off with the HTH 3 way test kit from Wal-mart for now as I have to order a good one from the US (i'm in Canada) due to costs for good tests kits being ridiculous up here.

thanks,
    Joe

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: new user - Super-Simple pool chemistry for Intex questions

If you have dichlor, you can start with using it. Doses are listed near the top of the guide and are based on your volume. Dichlor will only be used for awhile. It adds CYA (cyanuric acid, also known as stabilizer) which you will need in a freshly filled pool. Most pools do well with a CYA level around 50ppm. Once you have built up the CYA level with the dichlor (which adds chlorine and CYA at the same time), you'll want to switch to bleach so your CYA level doesn't get too high.

Sounds like you are doing you are homework and reading a lot. Good for you! Also, be sure to read over on our sister website www.poolsolutions.com. Lots of good info there as well.

Glad to have you join us on the forum! If you have further questions, let us know and we'll be glad to try and help.

Thank you for the quick reply and for clearing that up for me. I'm thinking to maybe stay the course and follow the plan since plain bleach is cheaper than Dichlor. So for the first 7 days I'll use bleach and then switch over to Dichlor. Once my CYA level is built up then I'll switch back to bleach as per your information. Thanks!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You are welcome.

But..... I'd go ahead and start with the dichlor if you have it. Dichlor has chlorine and CYA in it. Without CYA in a pool, it is hard to keep chlorine in a pool especially on a hot, sunny day. Dichlor adds about 9ppm of CYA for every 10ppm of chlorine. So, it actually won't take all that long to build up the needed CYA when using it.

If you do decide to just start with bleach for the first 7 days in a pool with no CYA in it, you're going to have a hard time keeping a chlorine reading in the pool, especially on hot, sunny days. Bleach, of course, has no CYA in it. So you will probably have to add bleach 2 or 3 times a day during that week because your chlorine is quickly going to be lost to the sun. (CYA kind of acts like sunscreen for your chlorine.)

It is your choice. But, if you already have the dichlor, I'd go ahead and use it. I think it will make it easier on you.

Thanks again Watermom. I will start with the Dichlor right away then as how can I go against great info like that. You're quick responses are really appreciated.

Keep us posted how things are going.

Finally started ground prep 2 days ago. Maybe once my registration is approved I can start a mini build thread.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

. . . membership updated.

+ Reply to Thread