+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First post - Equipment Maintenance

Default First post - Equipment Maintenance

Hello all,

This is my first post. I just purchased a home with a pool and have been getting advice from my friend who follows the BBB method. So, I'm converting to that.

Meanwhile, I don't have any maintenance records or information on the pool, other than it was new in 2007. I'm guessing the sand in the filter has never been replaced. Any advice on whether I should tackle this myself or get a pool service company to do it?

Likewise, is there some maintenance that I should be doing for the pump or gas heater?

I would sincerely appreciate your advice and look forward to becoming an active member here.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: First post - Equipment Maintenance

Smart decision to follow our BBB method. It is easy, it is cheaper than pool chemicals and it works!

You should NOT need to change your sand. Sand does not wear out and many of us have sand for a whole lot longer than 7 years.

I am not the pump or gas heater expert so I'll let someone else address those questions.

Go ahead and order a Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy) test kit. It won't be available locally; you can click on the test kit link in my signature and order one from Amazon. It will make things much easier for you than trying to get by on a cheaper kit.

Do a lot of reading on the forum, especially the stickied threads at the top of the various subsections of the forum. Also, read over on our sister website www.poolsolutions.com. Lots of good info there as well.

We are glad to have you join us! Let us know if you have more questions and someone here will try and help!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

. . . membership upgraded.

Most pump maintenance amounts to (a) installing it correctly, (b) not running it dry, (c) making sure that it can ventilate (move trash and leaves), (d) keeping the basket clear, and (e) winterizing properly.

Filter maintenance means keeping clean and supplied with media, and winterizing properly. Of course, there's variation between types of filters.

If you Google for your make and model of pump and filter, odds are you can find the manufacturer's manual online.

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Since you are in Canada, you may not be able to order that test kit from Amazon. Check that before you order.

Enjoy the pool!
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Thanks all. I'm going to try to order it through Amazon and have it shipped to a border town. It's a couple hours road trip.

Is that cheaper than ordering through Apollo pool?

+ Reply to Thread