+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A quick SWCG question

Default A quick SWCG question

I have a new 22" Intex pool with the ozone Saltwater generator. I ran the pump and generator for the first time last night. I ran the pump for 6 hours and the generator for 4. I tested the water today and I'm still not registering any free choline on the test strip. The rest of my readings are below.

TA ~190
    PH 7.5
    Salt ~2950
    Total Free Chlorine - 0

My question is is this normal? Does it take a few days to build up measurable chlorine in these pools? Or is something else effecting it? I could add some more salt. Also my TA is very high I'm going to be using the Acid/aeration method to fix this but that's going to take time. Perhaps I just need to run the generator longer tonight?

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: A quick SWCG question

Did you just fill the pool? Did you add any liquid chlorine first? If the water is new fill water or you allowed the FC to drop before running the SWG, then there could be a lot of chlorine demand during start up. To check if the SWG is working, take a water same at the exit of the return while the SWG is running.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

It's generally not a good idea to run your SWCG until start-up is complete.

Doing so just puts additional wear on the cell and can greatly shorten cell life if you try to use the 'boost' mode some units have. Plus, as Mark pointed it, it makes it hard to figure out what's going on, since you don't really know what the output of the unit is.

Another potential issue: you report a high TA, which is not a problem for SWCG by itself, but if you ALSO have high CH, you could be fouling your cell rather rapidly. (Actually, I'm going to have to ask about that -- high TA + high CH will foul hot surfaces (in a heater) rapidly, but the mode of action in a SWCG is different.)

Anyhow, welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry I was not specific in my question. This is a brand new set up. The pool was filled Saturday and Sunday. As it was filling I added the salt and stabilizer. I did not add any liquid chlorine.

By "a lot of chlorine demand" You mean it may take a couple of days? Or should I run the generator on a longer cycle to get started and then back off? Or should I add liquid Chlorine?

Sorry to be dense, but I'm new to all of this.
    Last edited by bradburyesqu; 05-26-2014 at 04:35 PM.

My CH is on the high end of normal at ~500 PPM. I'm not sure if this could be causing the problem.

I didn't run the generator until last night, after the pool was full. I did start running the pump during set up. I had read somewhere that it helps to dissolve the salt.

I currently have my out jet pointing up and it's causing a lot of bubbling. I'm not sure how good the aeration is on it though. Alkalinity seems to be going down faster then PH though. I'll retest again in about an hour or so.

My unit does have a boost mode, but my understanding was that it boosted the amount of copper but not necessarily the amount of chlorine generated. I'm not sure where I read that or if it is true. But if that might help get things kicked off I can certainly use it.

And thank you for the welcome. I a lot of information here over the last few weeks while I was buying the pool. It seems like a really knowledgeable group of people.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You might want to unhook the copper electrode on your unit. You do not want copper in a pool. It is copper, and not chlorine, that stains things and turns blonde hair green!

You don't want to use your boost cycle to up the chlorine. That will just wear out your cell faster. Just use bleach to get some chlorine in the pool. A pool with no chlorine will turn green pretty fast!

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Plain Walmart bleach is liquid chlorine. Pool Doc generally recommends you NOT use the SWCG until AFTER you get your pool "ready". What kind of filter do you have?
    Read these, it will make your life easier and your pool happier.
    http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/abov...-problems.html
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...p-routine-care.

If you have the cartridge filter, order 2 or 3 good ones now.

While you are at walmart getting bleach, see if they have this
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-6-Way-Test-Kit/17043668
    Get one if they do.

And if you have a sand filter, you might be interested in this,
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-D.E-Fi...10-lb/20434370
    the picture is WRONG, the description is CORRECT.
    This is WHY you might be interested in D.E.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...to-sand-filter

Enjoy your new pool!
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

It is a good idea to use liquid chlorine first to bring the water up to the appropriate FC level for the given CYA level (see Ben's table). Municipal fill water can be high in Chloramines so FC is used up removing that. Once you get the FC level right, then check to see if the SWG is able to maintain that level over several days.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Thank you for the links that helps a lot. But I'm still unclear on one point. How do I know when my pool is ready to start using the SWCG? Is it after the 7 day start up that you linked. Ie when I get to the maintanance part I start using the generator instead?

For now I need to add Chlorine. But how much? The document you posted above says to get 2 gallons for every 3,000 gallons of water. Do I need to add all of that over the next 7 days?

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Since you added stabilizer, you may not need dichlor, which adds stabilizer. Add 2 cups of 8.25% generic bleach, no fancy smellygoodie, or other "goo", every evening until you get 5ppm reading with an OTO drops based test kit. "Guess strips" are not reliable. If you are able to the HTH 6 Way kit you can check your stabilizer level. Your final chlorine level depends on the stabilizer level. If the HTH 6 way isn't available, get the cheapest OTO kit you can.

http://poolsolutions.com/gd/best-gue...ine-chart.html

I meant to say 2 cups bleach for every 3000 gallons.
    Last edited by Pappy; 05-26-2014 at 07:01 PM.
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

+ Reply to Thread