+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello, New to Forum.

Default Hello, New to Forum.

Hello, We have recently installed the 22' x 52" intex AG pool. And of course we filled it before finding this site. So, I for see needing lots of help. :O( It came with the Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump with 2,500 gph (110-120V). Will be posting laster for lots of help getting water straight. Took 3 days to fill and didn't add anything. using the hth 6-way strips water test was: TH=100, FC=0, pH=7.8, TA=180, CYA=0. Have floating 1" hth chlorinating tabs. Did add hth super shock tx times 2 bags this morning and test strips were TH=between 100-200, FC 2/4, pH=7.5, TA= close to 240, CYA= close to 0. I have bleach and borax now. It will be Wed before I can get to SAm's and will get the Dechlor. I'm going to stop and not add anything until I can get advice before I really mess up.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Hello, New to Forum.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

Sounds like you have already found our Super Simple Start up Recipe! If not, it is in my signature below. I would also suggest going ahead and ordering yourself a good test kit -- Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy). It won't be available locally -- test kit link in my signature.

In the meantime while you wait for your kit, you can get by with a cheap OTO/Phenol Red kit (yellow and red drops). We do not trust test strips or 'guess strips' as we call them! Your pH looks good at 7.5. A freshly filled pool without CYA loses chlorine fast. You may find that you need to add some bleach a couple times per day for the first few days so that you keep some chlorine in there. It doesn't take long for a pool with no chlorine to turn green! Once you start using some dichlor (which has chlorine and CYA in it) it will start to get easier to maintain a chlorine reading through the day.

Hope this helps. Let us know any other questions you may have about starting up your pool.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Read this
    http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/abov...-problems.html

and everything else at PoolSolutions (the sister site). Order some good filters NOW. The Intex cartridges do NOT work well. We tried to use them for 2 summers and were very unhappy with all the "goo" they DID NOT catch.

Enjoy your new pool!
    Last edited by Pappy; 05-27-2014 at 10:48 PM. Reason: clarification
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

Red face OK, need advice on next move.

Hello, new here and not only trying to get water right but, find where to post.LOL My upgrade got me lost.LOL
    Ok, I have 22' x 52" intex metal frame pool with Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump with 2,500 gph (110-120V). None of the good stuff yet. Will order test kit, dichlor and cartridges Friday. Had high pH yesterday and Watermom suggested I get the phenol red and OTO drops from walmart. yesterday was above 8.2 dark pink and the OTO= just yellow about 1-2.With my saltwater test kit that test higher pH it was 8.8 Rained and mostly cloudy yesterday. raining again this morning and cloudy but bright. Added 2c bleach only last night.(DUH<couldn't figure out how to post with my upgraded status) This morning my OTO is yellow 2/4 and the phenol red is lighter pink still 8.2 and my saltwater master kit tested 8.2.
    Now just hoping to get on tract and not screw anything else up. kids are dieing to swim between rain breaks.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: OK, need advice on next move.

I merged your new post from today with the thread you had been using yesterday. It is easy to get lost on the forum when you're new, but you'll learn your way around here!

Until you get the dichlor, you'll probably find that you need to add bleach a couple times per day because without any CYA in there, it will quickly be lost to the sun. For reference, in your pool (approximately 11,400 gallons) each quart of 8.25% bleach will add about 1.8ppm of chlorine. Use that as a reference to help you figure out how much bleach to add.

You should also try and drop your pH a little with some muriatic acid but please read the tab in my signature below about using it safely.

Thanks Watermom. I can't get the acid until Friday. Will just add bleach and keep reporting levels until then. Is it safe for the kids to swim?

Yes, they can swim as long as you have some chlorine in there. The high pH may or may not bother their eyes (probably not) so you might tell them not to open their eyes under water.

Yay, it's Friday so I can start getting the stuff I need.

Here is What I have so far on pool chem. OTO=2-4 lighter side. Phenol red= around 7.8. With my master saltwater kit it is reading 7.8 so at least appears to be coming down. I added 2 c bleach during the day yesterday and 2 c last night. Should go to Sam's later to pic up Dichlor. Spray cleaned filter and plan to order taylor lit and filters today.

Vacuumed yesterday Just the cheap vacuum that came with pool but got a lot out. I do have trees in my backyard and the bugs and litter I'm afraid will be a problem. At least the kids help out with netting when they swim. Will pic up some muriatic acid but, should I mess with lowing now or let it come down on it's own? seems like it is dropping slowly.

Thank you for being here and somewhere to turn so hopefully we'll have an enjoyable summer.

+ Reply to Thread