+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pressure question, and when do you replace sand?

Question Pressure question, and when do you replace sand?

I have a Hayward system, large pump, older IG pool with new vinyl liner. This is our third summer in this house. I opened late this year and had to fight a lot of algae, hence a lot of backwashing. Early on, my pressure gauge was reading normal, maybe a little low compared to the last two years (replaced the pressure gauge last summer). Now it is hardly showing any pressure at all! At first I thought it was just the gauge gone bad, which it could be, but my returns are not putting out as hard as they used to, so something isn't right even if the gauge is bad. My vac still works pretty well, though. I thought I had read on here once that low pressure might result from loss of sand in the filter - and that sand needed to be replaced every so often. I don't know if it ever has been. I don't really trust the pool place folks enough to call them out to look. Can someone advise me on this, and tell me HOW to change the sand? Thanks!

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Pressure question, and when do you replace sand?

Housemom,

I cannot advise you on when to replace sand in a sand filter since I do not own one but there are plenty of other threads that have covered this topic before. Unless you see a lot of sand in the pool or in your backwash, you probably have not lost much of it.

However, there could be other reasons why your pressure is low on the filter. This usually means that the suction is high on the other end of the pump. Things to look for are valves in the wrong setting, skimmer flaps shut off, pump basket full/blocked, or even some blockage in the suction lines.

Also, what kind of drop in pressure are you taking about? From what to what in PSI?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

If the pressure is low and flow is low, you usually have a water intake problem. This would be between the pump intake and the pool. High pressure and low flow usually indicates a problem between the pump outlet and the pool.

Check for dirty skimmer or pump baskets, closed valves, leaves or debris covering the drain, leaking skimmer basket lid etc.. Does the skimmer basket fill completely with water with no bubble?

Changing sand is an absolute *&$#%.

I have a DE filter now, but vividly remember the sand filter days.

Our sand filter took 150# of sand. Due to pool store ineptness, I was convinced I had bad sand two years in a row, necessitating a breakdown and replacement mid season.

Only way to get to the sand was to screw the head off the filter, use a ladel or something similar to dig the sand out. I'd reach a point where I'd get frustrated and just pick the thing up and dump it into a wheelbarrow, but my back paid for it for awhile after...

Knowing what I know now about pool operation from info learned here, I look back on my past years of pool store supported pool ownership and want to cry at the labor and money wasted.

Have you cleaned your pump basket out? If you haven't cleaned it out since opening your pool, chances are good there's a lot of gunk in there that is blocking good water flow.

I'd check every possible source before I'd consider changing sand.

The pressure has (previously) run consistently between 15-25 psi. It now reads 7. I have a main & two skimmers. I have tried shutting off the valves, one by one - they each read about 6-7 psi on their own. But when all three are opened, it is still just 7. I know the flow is low, because when I opened this year, I was trying to turn a jammed outlet and I couldn't keep my hand over the jet. Now I can put my hand flat on the jets without much effort. The pump basket is not leaking, nor any of the valves. No visible debris, either, but like I said, it ran fine when I opened - the psi went down after a lot of vac-ing and cleaning out baskets. I was thinking maybe something is stuck, but I don't know how to check or clean it out. The pump basket does not fill completely; there is air on top. I know it used to fill with only a tiny air bubble on top. It also used to really rattle my plumbing when the pump kicked in - pool guy told me my pump was too big for the pool (Hayward super II for 20 x 40 inground). No such rattling now. It's like it just doesn't kick in all the way. THanks for your help. I have been trying to figure out this pool stuff since moving in here. Once, in a former life, I was a lifeguard, and the extent of my pool maintenance knowledge was running the vac on Mondays. Now, I am Mom to 6 pool-crazy kids (well, one is only 4 months old, so he doesn't care YET) who just want me to keep it going and spend my days watching them swim. My husband, who doesn't swim, hasn't taken an interest in pool maintenance so far. SO...your help is very much appreciated!

Any chance at all you have a 2 speed pump and it's now set on low?

I don't have a multi-speed pump, so no idea, just a stab in the dark. I would think that if the sand were bad, your pressure would go up, not down.

duraleigh Guest

Hi, Housemom,

Your second post was great.....posting all those numbers and being precise really helps.

My first reaction, is air is getting into your system somewhere between the pump impellor and the skimmers. That is causing your pump not to "prime" and that will cause greatly reduced flow. Check the pump basket lid....make sure the gasket is on correctly. If that's not it, check the drain valve(s) at the bottom of the pump basket....they need to be tight.

Find the source of that air leak and I think you'll be in business.

Disregard changing the sand, that is definitely not your issue.
    Last edited by duraleigh; 06-06-2006 at 02:58 PM.

No, not a 2 speed. I thought maybe with lots of backwashing this spring, I might have lost sand, which might have lowered the pressure.

[QUOTE=housemom] - the psi went down after a lot of vac-ing and cleaning out baskets...The pump basket does not fill completely; there is air on top. I know it used to fill with only a tiny air bubble on top. It also used to really rattle my plumbing when the pump kicked in - pool guy told me my pump was too big for the pool...No such rattling now. It's like it just doesn't kick in all the way...

I would begin to wonder if the pump impeller wasn't worn/damaged/slipping.

duraleigh Guest

Housemom,

Air gets into your pools circulatory system one way......a suction side leak.

Their is air in your pump basket.

You have a suction side leak.

I don't mean to harp, (well, yes, I do ) but you must solve how air is getting into your system to cure your issue.

+ Reply to Thread