+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new to PF and I'm not a good pool owner.

Default new to PF and I'm not a good pool owner.

Hi All,

South TX resident here...we have a concrete in ground pool which was effectively a frog pond. The house and pool are approximately 35 years old and while the pool is sound, I have not cared for it very carefully.

Not knowing what to do and before searching the internet, I figured I'd do something so today I drained the pool and began using a chlorine solution to scrub the algae off. There is about 100lbs of green sendiment which I'll need to use the shop vac to get out, but the pool is mostly drained.

The surface of the pool is pretty rough and is down to the concrete in some places. We aren't in a place where we can afford to resurface the pool but are there alternatives which may work in the short term while we save for a resurfacing? From perusing the forums, it appears painting is not a preferred solution considering it is a short term fix and the real problem is refinishing the pool.

Thoughts on leaving the pool as it is and keep the chemicals right until we can refinish it properly? Or can I go for a paint which will buy me some time?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: new to PF and I'm not a good pool owner.

Sorry I can't advise you on this one. Hopefully Ben (PoolDoc) will have some thoughts which may help. Sit tight. He'll be around before too long, hopefully. We have had a LOT of new registrants in the past week and he is working as quickly as he can to get them all processed!

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Sorry we didn't get a subscriber post moved to the priority section!

Anyhow, I'd recommend going ahead and opening the pool -- and buying water shoes if people start getting scuffed up feet.

If you try to fix the pool up now, you're likely to lose the swim season. Give yourself the summer to enjoy the pool, become familiar with it, explore repair options and costs, and assess your budget and the value of the pool to your family.

Perfect - thank you and no worries on the delay. Was travelling for work and finally got back to this.

Will do. We have used a chlorine solution to help clean the pool up a bit and will begin filling soon. Just need to find a drain cover for both the hot tub and main drain. I'll search the forums before posting that issue.

Thanks again.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

OOPS! I didn't notice your subscriber status when I replied to your original post. Sorry 'bout that! At any rate, thanks for the subscription. That is much appreciated!

+ Reply to Thread