+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to the forum & BBB

Default New to the forum & BBB

Im a new user & Just wanted to check in, I have learned so much just reading thru this sight and posts. Every year I have very high CYA (I don't have a pool test kit yet but will soon enough) All my testing has been done thru the pool stores "Leslies" in Houston, Tx. each year I have to drain off some of the pool water to lower the CYA. I always fight algae thru the summer, but with determination and high chlorine manage to keep it at bay.
    Finally after reading this post I understand some things, Please correct me where Im wrong below.
    High CYA (over 100) means I need to run higher chlorine
    Trichlor Tabs are making my CYA go up up up
    High CYA & not enough chlorine is why I have algae,
    I never paid much attention to PH, but now I try to keep it between 7.4-8.0
    I have put the Tabs & shock away in place of Borax, and Bleach
    Im using the Ben's Best Guess* Guide to Swimming Pool Chlorine as my guide.
    I never was into adding a bunch of chemicals in the pool, I usually kept it pretty much under control with Shock, Tabs, brushing and draining off water.
    Now I will use the Borax, bleach for the most part, maybe an occasional baking soda. I drained off the water yesterday to get the CYA from over 100 to 80 and used bleach 8.25% to bring up the chlorine to around 20 after brushing some algae off the walls that was just starting, I think it might be yellow algae, I used 3 cups Borax to bring the PH up to 7.8. still have the pump running since yesterday and it looks great, I'll keep the chlorine up pretty high for a few days to see what happens with the algae, hopefully it is gone now.
    Any further suggestions would be appreciated
    23 year old pool, I have had it a few years and think it's gunite? parts of it chip off and I can see concrete under those chipped spots
    13,000 gallon pool
    Keep in mind these are pool store values below
    FAC = 5 highest pool store goes, (I did the half pool water, half distilled and doubled the reading and was around 20 but I bumped that up to orange to hopefully kill any algae that might be lurking
    TAC = 5
    CH = 250
    CYA = 80 ( I measured way over 100 before draining off a little water yesterday with my walmart test kit)
    TA = 90
    pH = 7.8
    TDS = 250
    Pho = 100
    water temp = 84
    Thank you for any constructive criticism
    DE Filter
    Hayward super II pump, 1hp

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New to the forum & BBB

Sounds like you have done your homework and have a pretty good understanding. Be sure to also read on our sister website www.poolsolutions.com. Do yourself a big favor and order the good kit we recommend-- Taylor K2006 or 2006C (better buy). It is not available locally. The test kit link in my signature below will take you to Amazon. Any purchases made through that link (doesn't have to be pool stuff) earn a slight percentage which helps keep the forum up and running and able to help people learn. That kit is the most important piece to being able to manage your pool easily.

Welcome to the Pool Forum! Glad to have you join us.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New to the forum & BBB

sounds like you're on track.

One point you may need to know: high chlorine because of high CYA does NOT result in higher chlorine consumption than low chlorine with low CYA.

. . . membership updated.

+ Reply to Thread