+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Very slow leak...should I bother finding/fixing?

Default Very slow leak...should I bother finding/fixing?

The past couple winters I noticed the water level dropped about 4 inches over the 7 months it's been closed for the winter (I use a solid cover, btw). I'm not sure if the water level stopped at the leak location of if would have continued to leak if I left the pool covered/closed longer.

During the summer I don't notice any unusual water loss.

Since I'm only losing about 1/2 inch per month, is it even worth persuing finding and repairing the leak at this point? Or should I take a wait and see approach and address it if it gets worse?
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Default Re: Very slow leak...should I bother finding/fixing?

Sorry nobody has replied yet... I really can't offer any solid advice here since I have not experienced this. How old is your liner? If it were my pool, and I was within a few years of replacing the liner, I would just keep an eye on it and wait it out. Otherwise I would probably do some investigating over the course of this season and hope to find the leak (or at least a suspicion of where it is). Hopefully someone else here can provide a better answer.
    -Eric B. 16x32 rect 14,364 gal AG (Intex Ultra Frame); 14 in sand filter; 1 HP 2800 GPH pump; 8 hrs; Taylor K-2006c, utility water, debris cover
    @Best Guess chart http://pool9.net/cl-cya @K2006 http://pool9.net/testkits

Quote Originally Posted by Themadczar View Post
    Sorry nobody has replied yet... I really can't offer any solid advice here since I have not experienced this. How old is your liner? If it were my pool, and I was within a few years of replacing the liner, I would just keep an eye on it and wait it out. Otherwise I would probably do some investigating over the course of this season and hope to find the leak (or at least a suspicion of where it is). Hopefully someone else here can provide a better answer.
    Thanks for the response.

The liner is 10 years old. Other than some fading, it appears to be in very good condition.

I'm inclined to take a wait and see approach unless someone here offers a good reason why I should address it now.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Sorry for the delay! (my computer is acting up this week )

I don't think you have a leak

Your solid cover will accumulate water/ snow/ ice over the winter and displace pool water. Add to that the fact that water expands when it freezes and it's reasonable to expect a 4" loss in the spring. Also - if you have a hole in the solid cover, you'll be draining the pool when you pump the water off of the cover.

Enjoy your pool!
    Last edited by waste; 05-27-2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: typo
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Quote Originally Posted by waste View Post
    Sorry for the delay! (my computer is acting up this week )

I don't think you have a leak

Your solid cover will accumulate water/ snow/ ice over the winter and displace pool water. Add to that the fact that water expands when it freezes and it's reasonable to expect a 4" loss in the spring. Also - if you have a hole in the solid cover, you'll be draining the pool when you pump the water off of the cover.

Enjoy your pool!
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the first time it happened that's what I was thinking, especially since during the summer I didn't notice anything unusual. But when it happened again this past winter, and the loss was almost exactly the same, it got me wondering if I have a slow leak.

When I was cleaning the cover this time, I did find one hole, but it was near the edge and would have been above the water level.

Maybe when I have some free time I might check and see if I can locate a leak. That said, when I do have free time I'm usually in the pool enjoying it rather than chasing mystery problems...

Do you have any ideas I might try next time I close the pool that might help solve this mystery?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

First thing that comes to mind id keeping water off the solid cover for as long as you can(before it freezes). This might help and is worth a try
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Quote Originally Posted by waste View Post
    First thing that comes to mind id keeping water off the solid cover for as long as you can(before it freezes). This might help and is worth a try
    That I do. For reference, the pool rarely freezes here in SE coastal VA.

+ Reply to Thread