+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: di chlor question

Default Re: di chlor question

thank you I shall await. I know we have a Pool School but I don't believe it has all the answers then again maybe it does I just have to ask properly like I'm doing now Thanks Watermom....Btw where does "Watermom" come from? My handle dansdad came from my beloved English Springer Spaniel, Danny. He crossed Rainbow Bridge about 4 years ago.
    13000 gallon fiberglass, variable speed pump, cartridge filter, chlorine sanitized ,k-2006, also daily 5 item check ( ch, ph,ta,)
    I only trust the k-2006 titration is better for me

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Watermom is just something I made up years ago. No meaning other than I had a pool and loved to be in it and was a Mom with a bunch of little boys at my house!

Great answer !
    13000 gallon fiberglass, variable speed pump, cartridge filter, chlorine sanitized ,k-2006, also daily 5 item check ( ch, ph,ta,)

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

99% dichlor is normal, undiluted dichlor. If it is sodium dichloroisocyanurate, the available chlorine will be around 61%. If it is sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate, the available chlorine will be around 56%.

Ok so I guess it would not hurt to use it wouldn't cause a gaseous affect. I think I may use it once and see how it works. I'll probably just stick to chlorine. So confusing all the di-chlor, tri- chlor and all the rest. Chlorine is the only thing that isn't too confusing. I was going to get a floater so when I go away for a week or two the floater could watch the pool until I get back. Honestly don't know a thing about floaters and since I have a fiberglass pool I already read to keep it tied off so it doesn't touch the side. I was thinking or two lines one line going from my ladder and the other to the skimmer lid on the deck that way it would be in the middle and couldn't move too far. Thank you for answering and thanks to watermom for setting up this conversation again thanks to you both

just looked at a site called Cameo Chemicals and they say this stuff is only 39% free chlorine

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Can you post (or email me) complete hi-res pictures of the label?

I don't understand how 99% dichlor can be 39% chlorine, and those labels are federally regulated, so their ability to play marketing games is somewhat restricted.

went to the site of Cameo Chemicals. I first googled the dichloro-- and it game me the site. This site has the msds as well as other names listed. When I went to the site I didnt immediately get it but the google did and sent me to the same site..so figure. When you get there you scroll down to the chemical in question. Also theit email is orr.cameo@noaa.gov. Hope that's what you want

1. poolforum@gmail.com

2. "Cameo Chemicals" is really a NOAA spill database, here: http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/

3. The reference to 39% dichlor is not a reference to a product, but to a potential condition. Supposedly, dichlor at available chlorine concentrations BELOW 39% behaves differently than dichlor at concentration above 39%.

Well, maybe. But it's NOT talking about any specific product.

4. The database has some significant errors and omissions. It does correctly recognize, for example, that cal hypo and cyanuric acid react badly together. But it lists hydrogen bromide and sulfur dioxide as potential by-products. Considering that there is no sulfur or bromine in either cyanuric acid or dichlor, that's a rather remarkable outcome.

It also claims that dichlor and cyanuric acid react badly together with each other. I'm skeptical. We'll see. But I'm pretty sure that if they DO react, you won't have any hydrogen bromide (again) as a byproduct!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I don't think the CAMEO site is going to help you much. The entry in CAMEO you are seeing is for SODIUM DICHLORO-S-TRIAZINETRIONE and SODIUM DICHLORO-S-TRIAZINETRIONE DIHYDRATE with greater than 39% available chlorine.

I found the MSDS for the product you mentioned "ClearView shimmer n shock" on the manufacturer's website and it indicates (may be out of date) that it is undiluted dichlor. It is fine to use in your pool to chlorinate and add CYA.

I'm guilty again of "simul-post"

+ Reply to Thread