+ Reply to Thread

Thread: water problems

Default water problems

we just set up our new AG pool a week ago. I followed the instructions as per our pool store. Add stabilizer, then shock and let run for a few days then add some pucks to the clorinator. Then wait another day and bring in a sample. Well the hardness was low (as expected) but the ALK was doing some weird stuff. They tried to test it but the sample turned yellow???? So they had me bring the hardness up from 20 and add some alk increaser. Well I tested it with my taylor kit tonight (just the alk and PH) Ph was a little low but as with our hot tub I try to get the alk in check and the PH usually falls into place. Well my Alk test went yellow again. I do the same as with my tub. And instead of going from green to red it gos from green to yellow? I am very confused. Any reason why? This is city water. My tub is usually low in ALk and Hardness and thats it.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: water problems

We really need some testing numbers to know what is going on. Also, specifically (ingredients) what you have added. Then somebody here can try and help. Also, volume of the pool.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Re: water problems

The alk test can suffer interferance from high chlorine levels. One of the indicators in the indicator solution will bleach out causing the test to turn from blue to yellow instead of green to red. Taylor suggests adding more of the first reagent (sodium thiosulfate) to neutralize the chlorine. What are you FC and TC readings?
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

+ Reply to Thread