+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Intex cartridge to sand filter changeover.

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Default Intex cartridge to sand filter changeover.

We have an Intex 15ft X 48in pool. This will be the third summer we've had the pool. This year we upgraded form a small Intex cartridge filter to an Intex sand filter because we live in an area where water restrictions prohibit drain and refill and we opened to the dreaded "Swamp".

We stayed with Intex because:
    - They are reasonably reliable (even though the have a relatively short life expectancy)
    - Intex fittings are propriatery
    - Price

We purchased Intex model #SF70110. It has a 3/4 hp pump and a 14 inch sand filter that holds 77 lbs of No. 20 silica sand. I'd recommend the smaller SF80110 unit (1/2 hp pump, 14 inch filter that holds 50 lbs.). The owner's manual indicates the SF80110 can be used on pools up to 19000 gallons.

Owners Manual - http://slink.intexdevelopment.com/b2...R0_1406_EN.pdf

I'm assuming you already have an Intex pool with a cartridge filter. If you have an "Intex Style" pool you can use an Intex filter system. You just have to buy the Itex through wall fittings. I THINK these instructions should work for all INTEX sand filters and SWCGs but I can't guarantee that.

PLAN AHEAD! Get EVERYTHING you need before you start. Amazon is probably the cheapest place to buy the pump/filter. The adapters are cheapest directly from Intex. The local Home Depot carries Quikcrete 50 lb pool filter sand (sku # 280836 in the Dallas, TX area) for less than $6.00 a bag. I went to the Quikcrete website and verified that their sand meets Intex specs.

Things you WILL need:
    1. The sand filter
    2. Hoses (these 3 models come with hoses, I'm not sure ALL do)
    2. Sand (1 bag for SF801101, 2 for SF701101, 3 for SF601101)
    3. #2 Phillips head screwdriver

Things you MAY need:
    1. Intex B adapters
    2. Intex Plunger valves
    3. Through wall adapters (several parts, shown on page 4, owners manual)

Plunger valves are NOT necessary. They do provide a water cutoff and a 90 degree bend that lets hoses hang down rather than stand out perpendicular to the pool side.

Things you will do:

1. Make sure you have room for the unit! I'd recommend a 3ft X 3ft minimum. It should be level, flat and stable. Ours sets on square concrete pavers.

2. Set the unit where you want it. I set the valve on the filter tank and connected everything BEFORE I filled it with sand to make sure it was well placed. Think about how you are going to backwash. I take the return hose off the filter and connect it to the "Waste" side of the valve for now. If we have to backwash very often, I'll figure a way to direct the water to the lawn.

3. Fill it with sand PER owners manual instructions.

4. Tighten all connections.

5. Install the ring clamp. This is where the screwdriver comes in.

6. Fill the pool well above the hose connections.

7. Backwash FIRST! If you don't, you'll put LOTS of sand in your pool.

8. Turn the pump off, set the valve to filter, set the timer if you wish, turn the pump on.

I'll follow this up with a step by step of our install and some pictures too.

Pappy
    Last edited by Pappy; 05-20-2014 at 12:01 AM.
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Intex cartridge to sand filter changeover.

Nice! this should help many.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post

1. Make sure you have room for the unit! I'd recommend a 3ft X 3ft minimum.
    Pappy
    After measuring with a real measuring device, (instead of my "pretty stinking accurate eyeball") 3 X 3 is the MINIMUM space required for a PUMP/SAND FILTER system. If you add a SWCG, you'll need more space. Think about the fact that you need to turn the pump off and on, adjust the timer, backwash, clean the strainer, etc. MAYBE,,, if everything was "just right", you might get by with less room.
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

I replaced the Intex 637R 1000 gph cartridge filter with an Intex SF70110 2150GPH sand filter.

Old Filter Tag..

New Filter..

New Filter Tag..

Intex was the cheapest place I found for the Plunger Valves, B Adapters and other parts.
    http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/r...ter-pumps.html

Amazon had the best prices on the pump/sand filter units. Please use the PoolForum link when ordering from Amazon.
    http://poolforum.com/amz/

Here is what I did, step by step, to complete the change over after I had gathered ALL the necessary supplies.

1. Assemble everything (don't attach the 6 Way Valve to the filter yet) per manual.
    http://slink.intexdevelopment.com/b2...R0_1406_EN.pdf

If your pool came with Plunger Valves, skip down to 12.

2. Loosen the hose clamps holding the old hoses on the "through the liner" connectors.

3. Remove the skimmer and return jet fittings from the pool liner.

4. Install black plugs.

5. Remove the old hoses and pump.

6. Connect Intex B Adapters to the Intex Plunger Valves.
    B Adapter..
    Plunger Valve..

7. Install the B Adapter on the "through the liner" connectors.

8. Turn the Plunger Valve to the OFF position

9. Remove the black plugs.

10. Reinstall the skimmer fitting and RETURN JET FITTING.

11. Tighten the B Adapters. (As an alternative to B Adapters, you can cut larger holes in the liner and install the fittings, referenced in the owners manual, that are designed to fit directly to the Plunger Valves.)

12. Set the unit where you want it. I set the valve on the filter tank and connected everything BEFORE I filled it with sand to make sure it was well placed.

13. Fill the filter with sand PER owners manual instructions.

14. Install the 6 Way Valve, including the flex pipe that connects the filter to the pump.

15. Install the ring clamp. You need a #2 Phillips scxrewdriver.

16. Connect the hoses and tighten all connections.

17. Turn the Plunger Valves on.

18. Bleed the air from the strainer basket.

19. Check for dripping connections and correct as necessary.

20. Make sure the pool is filled well above the skimmer connection.

21. Set the 6 Way Valve to "Backwash".

22. Turn the pump on and run until you have clear water coming from the filter. I closed the return Plunger Valve and hooked the return hose to the "Drain" connection on the 6 Way Valve so I had some control of where the water went.

23. Turn the pump off, set the 6 Way Valve to "Rinse" and run for 1 minute.

24. Turn the pump off, set the 6 Way Valve to "Filter" (if you used the return hose for a backwash hose, connect it back to the "outlet" but run the pump a couple of seconds before you connect it back to the Plunger Valve to make sure there is no gunk left in it, and don't forget to open the Plunger valve).

25. Set the timer if you wish, turn the pump on.

Pappy

I forgot to mention that IF you intend to use the Intex "B Adapter", you NEED to get the 1600 gph model pump/filter. The 2150 gph model creates enough suction to open the vacuum breaker that is built into the Plunger Valves. This allows air into the suction side of the pump basket and you loose prime in less than 1 minute. If you want the 2150 gph unit, and you currently have the 1-1/4" hoses, you will NEED to use the larger strainer and return fittings, which means enlarging the holes in your liner.

Pappy

+ Reply to Thread