+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Filter / Pumps / New Pool

Default Filter / Pumps / New Pool

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a 17' x 52" Summer Escapes metal frame above ground pool. It has listed to include one C type filter cartridge with built-in chlorinator that uses 1" tablets, one filter + skimmer pump system with GFCI protection.

I was told by someone at a local pool store (who do not sell neither Intex or Summer Escapes type pools) that the pump/system is not enough. I am confused as to what exactly is a filter compared to a pump so I apologies for incorrect terminology, but I heard that getting a bigger Intex filter/pump would work if I figured out how to attached it to the filter/skimmer and can figure out how to do so on YouTube.

I guess my questions are 1. is what comes with the pool enough? 2. If not, what should I be looking into to "convert"

Also, same but different topic - what is the difference between chlorine vs. sand vs. salt? Do they run together or are separate and one is better than the next.

Thank you for your patience and advise.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Filter / Pumps / New Pool

Before you buy a Summer Escapes pool, read this info page about the different soft-side pools: http://pool9.net/sspool-info/

And, read the Super Simple recipe page: http://pool9.net/ssr/

None of the filter and pump combos that come with the soft side pools are great, but Intex does have some upgrade options. Summer Escapes does not, and I don't think the adapters that allow you to use standard pool gear with Intex pools will work on Summer Escapes. However, IF you get the Unicel cartridges for a Summer Escapes AND you are careful to avoid algae, the water will stay reasonably clear.

+ Chlorine is the primary (and best) pool sanitizer (kills germs), algaecide (kills algae), and oxidizer (burns up 'goo')

+ Sand is the filter media inside sand filters. Other filter media include fabric cartridges and DE powder.

+ Salt is just table salt -- sodium chloride. BUT SWCG's (salt water chlorine generators) use electricity to convert the "chloride" into "chlorine".

. . . . membership updated.

I just bought the 24' version of this pool, so I can provide some information.

First off the built in clorinator it is refering to is a joke. Basicly the filters that they sell have a hollow middle and they recommend you put 1 inch clorine tablets in there. It in no way produces clorine.

The included filter is the bare minium and very noisy. You will have to run it a lot longer than a stronger filter to get any results and have to watch your water carefully. My orignial plan was to use the filter until it broke and then upgrade. I have multiple years of frame pool experience and after one month I have already decide this filter is not worth running. The included filter system could not filter the dirt from the bottom of my pool. It would pass through the filter system right back to the bottom of my pool. Nothing ticks me off more than to vacuum the bottom of the pool and see a trail of dirt coming out of the filter system.

You can connect a different filter to the outlet of the existing hole exit with clamps. You will have to play a bit with hose sizes depending on what filter you upgrade to.

Thank you both!

Again, thank you. Some things came UP, but based on the links, I finally got an Intex 18' x 48" Ultra Frame pool with Krystal Clear Filter Pump. It has a 90% capacity of 6,423 gallons. I will now re-read the Super Simple recipe page link. Hopefully do all the proper tests and have it up for next weekend. I'm sure I'll have plenty of more questions.
    Ben - you mentioned that Intex has some good filter upgrade options. I saw a Krystal Clear saltwater system at the store. Is this recommended? From what you posted, if I am correct, this converts salt to chlorine. What is the benefit compared to regular chlorine filter?

Rich

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

This is our 3rd summer with a 15'X48" Intex, we upgraded to a sand filter this year. SO much easier and will be less cost than a seasons worth of Intex cartridges. We didn't learn about Unicell and Filbur replacements until after the sand filter was ordered, so I can't comment about the cost and effectiveness of those. Intex cartridges DO let LOTS of "stuff" bypass.

This is the setup we have
    http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/h...s/56673eg.html
    It is larger than we need for our 15' pool but should work very nicely for your 18'.

If your pool came with the 1-1/2" screw connection hoses and plunger valves, it is a fairly straight forward change over. If you have the 1-1/4" clamp on hoses, it is a little more involved.

Here's a link to our change over thread.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...041#post117041

There are several SWCG options here
    http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/h...er-system.html
    I'll tell you upfront that the ozone generator is not generally recommended (at least on this forun) for outdoor pools, so don't waste the extra money on that. Also, I'm pretty sure that ALL Intex SWCGs include a copper ionizer, and you "PROBABLY" will want to disconnect it, unless you like turning blonde hair green and stains on your liner.

Good Luck and ENJOY your new pool!

Pappy
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

Thank you, Pappy. Sorry for being slow on this, (although I'm past the phase of "just add water") but when you recommend the sand filter, is that just to replace the cartridge filter? Meaning, still chlorine, etc.? My understanding was that the SWCG would mean no more adding chlorine since the salt would be converted.

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

We did not get the SWCG, just the sand filter. I add bleach every other day. The SWCG is probably even less maintenance than manual chlorination, but you still need to get the water "balanced" manually before starting the SWCG and if you do run into a problem, it's best to turn the SWCG off and manually clean up the mess before restarting, so we opted not to go that route. I'm not saying by any means, that SWCGs are a bad thing for everybody. That decision is based on your needs and preferences, and there are plenty of people on this site that love their SWCGs and would never go back to manual chlorination.

If you decide to replace the filter and/or get a SWCG, Amazon had the best prices I could find, considerably less than direct from Intex. If you do order from Amazon, start here
    http://www.poolforum.com/amz/
    and the PoolForum will get a little commission on what ever you buy to help keep the lights on.

Hope this is helpful.

Pappy
    Last edited by Pappy; 06-20-2014 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added Amazon link
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

I just want to confirm something based on the super simple recipe page PoolDoc posted and what Pappy mentioned about bleaching every other day. As silly as this may sound to people on this forum - it's regular (8.25%) bleach, right? I'm going to start to fill my pool one day this week and will put in the (for me) 2 cups of bleach after the first 6 inches of water is in the pool.

Once the pool is filled, do I discard the bleach (unless issues arise)? I ask this because one of the lines from the pool recipe states:
    "Because you'll may have to order some things, we've included a 7-day 'get-by-with-bleach' option, to follow if you have to wait for supplies to arrive."

Is bleach out in favor of the dichlor dose that I will be putting in every evening and 1/2 dose before group swim?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Bleach isn't out of favor, but the SS recipe uses dichlor to add BOTH stabilizer AND chlorine. The whole idea was to minimize the complexity on new pools.

Bleach is an EXCELLENT way to 'shock' a pool -- say after you have a bunch of kids in. But it doesn't add stabilizer.

+ Reply to Thread