+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Filter / Pumps / New Pool

Default Re: Filter / Pumps / New Pool

The mark there is brown.

Also, can someone point me in the right direction in how to read an hth 3 part tester. I tried the pH side. I inserted into pool to fill to top line, put in 5 red drops, closed top inverted and inverted back and the entire column was red. I either have high pH or I'm doing something wrong. Similar thing happened on the chlorine/yellow side.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

How high was your chlorine when you tested the pH? If it was higher than 5ppm, then you'll get falsely high pH. You can dilute the sample to test when your chlorine is past 5ppm. Take 1/4 cup pool water and 1/4 cup distilled water, mix it and then test pH with that.

For the chlorine side of the tester, if your chlorine is higher than 5ppm, you can use the chart at this link to help you interpret the colors that are off the scale of the tester:> http://pool9.net/oto-chart/

Again, I'm not too sure I'm reading these things correctly but it seemed that it read the highest levels. For the Chlorine side, as soon as I put in the yellow drops and invert, it just turns yellow. Looking at the chart provided, maybe that's what it's supposed to do. I will do the tests today that you (Watermom) mentioned above. Yesterday I was home from work, today I'm not so it will take a little bit.

I went out this morning to do a test again (not the one mentioned above, need distilled water for that) but I maybe have realized something. The colors on the tester show what the ppm is based on the shade of color the water and the OTO or (whatever the red is called). If that is the case, I have a very low chlorine count (very light yellow) and a very high pH count (dark red). Hope this helps you help me.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

If the yellow is very light, then you need chlorine. Add some bleach so your pool won't turn green.

On the pH test, is the red darker than the darkest one on the tester (which for most kits is 8.2)?

What did you decide. Are you going to use the Super Simple Recipe we linked in one of the posts above or just use bleach. We need to know so we can give you better advice.

I'm having a friend stop by and add bleach. I believe the red was as dark as the darkest one.

I will be using the Super Simple Recipe. Just waiting on some stuff from amazon. I should have by this weekend. But until then, bleach. Should I do anything with the Mule Borax at this point? That I found at the local store.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

If your pH reading is 'red', you don't need to add borax. Borax would be needed of the result was yellow or orange (low pH)

As I mentioned, I asked a friend to go over and add some bleach to the pool (3 doses/cups). I also asked him to confirm that it said 8.25%, which it did. He did mention that it said "Concentrated" on it and I could get 186 (i think) washes compared to 125. Will this make a difference (the concentrated part).

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

"Concentrated" is just a word on the label; it doesn't mean anything. the "8.25% sodium hypochlorite" is the only thing with a real meaning.

+ Reply to Thread