+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Filter / Pumps / New Pool

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Filter / Pumps / New Pool

If you have the dichlor, then you go ahead and start using that instead of the bleach. At the point that your CYA has built up to around 50ppm, then you'll stop using dichlor and switch over to bleach so the CYA doesn't get too high. (Yes, regular household unscented 8.25% bleach. Walmart generic is what many of us use.)

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Another simul-post! (Both of us saying the basically the same thing.)

Thank you. One last question (at this time). While filing up the pool, should the filter be running (at least when the water reaches over the intake)? If not, when would be the best time to run filter for the first time and when after that?

You can start it as soon as the water level is high enough to fill the skimmer.

ok, pool is filling. Do not have the test kit from Amazon yet, but have the 3 part tester from walmart and will be testing (when filled?) another question, a friend of mine used to have an Intex (maybe the Summer one) pool and he bought something called Star Shock. Ingredients is 12.5% sodium hypochlorite and 87.5% other ingredients. He is offering two gallons to me. Is this something that would be useful to me or is it going to sit in my shed as I try to figure out what to do with dangerous chemicals.

If the other 87.5% ingredients are just water, then it is fine. It is simply a stronger concentration of bleach. If you are unsure if there are other things in there besides sodium hypo and water, then I would pass on it.

Will avoid using the Star Shock as I have no idea what the "other" ingredients are. I am filling up the pool and added the bleach (2 doses) after 6 inches. I'm waiting for the water to get above the skimmer and I will turn filter on. Manual states to leave on for 6 hours.

Water currently looks yellow. I will test sometime tonight after pool is near full with the 3 part test.

Are you filling from a well or city water?

City water

Yellowish tinge to the water sounds like it could be metals. Look in the back of your toilet tank and see if there are water stains and if so, what color?

+ Reply to Thread