+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Pool Owner: In-floor cleaning system problems

Default New Pool Owner: In-floor cleaning system problems

We just moved into a place with a pool - and I've no idea, so I'm basically looking for an explanation of how the cleaning system works.

I'm aware - in principle - of the idea of both intakes and outlets on the pool floor - we also have outlets on the side of the pool in a couple of places.

For intake we also have what I believe is the skimming facility - a 'door' through which water flows into a cylindrical hole about eighteen inches deep at the bottom of which are two holes. If I turn the filter on, then suction comes through one of those holes (always the same one). I plug the vacuum into that and all is well - it cleans and water comes back into the pool via the outlets on the side (as far as I can determine, nothing is coming back into the pool via any outlets on the floor of it).

Part of the pool is a spa/hottub which has one floor intake, one floor output, and one wall output. When I vacuum water comes into that area via the wall output.

For what it's worth, before they left, the previous owners told my wife that "some of the popups" don't work. I don't know what "popups" are.

Our filter has a lot of pipes going this way and that, through which the water comes in and goes out, cleaned. There are no less than three (3) switches which can switch the flow of the water (in some way).

My questions are very general - what does the other hole at the bottom of the skimmer do? How can I know which of the switches to have which way? To run the skimmer, why do I need the white thing with the sliding gate, and how should I set it?

Apologies for the (a) dumbness and (b) probably lack of clarity of my questions, and thanks in advance for any help.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: New Pool Owner - Help

Hi and welcome! Please don't confuse ignorance of a VERY complicated pool set-up with dumbness. It's not. I must admit, I don't know why there are two outlets on your skimmer, either. At a guess, since it's a big one, the installer can use either one and leave the other closed...but that's just a guess.

"Popups" usually refer to a self-vacuuming system where, in the pool, heads like sprinkler heads pop up to vacuum up all the dirt in the vicinity. We ofter hear "several popups don't work" and generally suggest other automated vacuum systems.

As for all the plumbing and valves, it's kind of hard to know what everything does. Our site owner, PoolDoc, aka Ben, and some other here are pretty good with unraveling mysteries such as yours.

You'll also want to learn how pool chemistry and management of your water works. It's really not difficult, though many in the business try to convince you it's a black art. It isn't. In any case we have tried and true proven methods for easy, simple and inexpensive pool care that doesn't use and "magic" chemicals and formulae--just simple clear stuff.

For example, you can chlorinate your pool just fine with ordinary household bleach. In fact, it's one of the best sources of chlorine for your pool. Many chemicals are simple grocery store products sold at far higher per-pound costs in pool stores when they are re-labled.

We have lots of info on it here, in our stickied threads, and on our sister site, poolsolutions.com.
    Carl

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New Pool Owner: In-floor cleaning system problems

In-floor cleaning systems are on my list of pool gizmos to avoid:

1. They are energy HOGS, because the restrict flow so much, and typically force the use of an oversized pump.

2. Normally the infloor pop-ups are separate from the normal pool returns, and are operated by some sort of rotary valves that actuates popups in sequence, in the attempt to 'sweep' debris toward the main drain.

3. Typically after a few years, the popups began to act like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyF View Post
    For what it's worth, before they left, the previous owners told my wife that "some of the popups" don't work. I don't know what "popups" are
    Once they fail, the option seems to be expensive repairs, since the female receptacle for the popup wears, along with the popup, and unlike the popup, cannot be replaced. (I've often wondered why they don't make those pop-ups as a 3 piece 'cartridge' with a base, a female part, and a male popup, allowing BOTH moving parts to be replaced. But as far as I know, that's not been done.)

4. Skimmers usually have 2 holes. One returns water to the pump. The other -- often plugged -- can be piped to an 'equalizer line' the penetrates the side wall BELOW the skimmer.

+ Reply to Thread