+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to clean an above ground pool after 2 seasons of non use

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: How to clean an above ground pool after 2 seasons of non use

You need to buy a new pressure gauge. They are cheap. Keep the chlorine levels up and keep filtering. It takes P.O.P.--- Pool Owner Patience.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by 12ofus View Post
    We have been backwashing whenever the water coming back into the pool isn't as forceful.
    That's reasonable.

But there's no 'quick' way to clean up dead algae in a typical AG pool, because their filters are too small. They manage OK so long nothing is wrong, but not so well for clean up. Where you have 2 seasons worth of swamp, I'd allow 2 weeks for clean up.

I'm new to forums and how to navigate around them, so I just found and read PoolDoc's reply. We knew it wouldn't be a quick fix, I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. We have spent over $200 on bleach (Walmart) and I'm keeping the chlorine in the bright yellow/orange range.We also went ahead bought a small bucket of chlorine tablets and we're keeping one in the basket. We figured we'll need them anyway and maybe that would help keep the chlorine level up while we go buy more bleach. The ph side of the tester is nearly clear. I cannot afford the expensive test right now. Do we keep adding bleach every day like this until it's clear? Does it matter about the ph right now? In my first post watermom said to load up on borax as well. When will I use that? My kids ask me a hundred times a day about the pool and I don't really know myself what to tell them. I really appreciate y'all answering my questions. We're trying to be hopeful our pool will be okay eventually.
    27 round AG pool

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Once the algae is dead -- no more green -- you can drop back to medium to dark yellow, with no orange. However you should brush the pool thoroughly before you drop back.

See if you can find the HTH 6-way kit, sold by some Walmarts. It's made by Taylor and is a partial replacement for the K2006.

The borax is just to raise your pH, which will drop once you use the tabs a bit.

What does the water look like right now?

The water is clean-looking, but not clear. There are no more critters floating in the jar sample. The test shows a bright yellow and a slightly below ideal for the ph.. We replaced the gauge yesterday and are still backwashing when the pool intake is slow, but that has been less frequently.
    27 round AG pool

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by 12ofus View Post
    The ph side of the tester is nearly clear..
    If the pH side is nearly clear after adding the 5 red drops, that means your pH is extremely low and you need to get some Borax in there ASAP! Retest your pH to verify your reading, please.

My best guess is around 7.4.
    27 round AG pool

Ok. 7.4 is a good pH reading. No borax needed right now.

Ok. So if the ph is good and the chlorine is good, and the water is no longer green, what do we do next?
    27 round AG pool

Pappy is offline PF Supporter Widget Weaver Pappy 0

Go swimming! is what I was told. Seems dead algae is harmless, and keeping it stirred up helps filter it out.

Pappy
    Intex 15ftx4ft 4500 gal. 3/4 HP Pentair WhisperFlo pump. Hayward 21" sand filter. Taylor K-2006 & K-1106 kits. PF=27

+ Reply to Thread