+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bubbly mess

Default Bubbly mess

I uncovered the pool from winter, and found some algae growth. Put in some cheap algaecide, then some floc.... big mistake.

Now, for some reason, my pool looks like a bubble bath. I can't get the bubbles to go away. When the filter/pump is running, it just makes more bubbles. If I turn it off, the bubbles go away. So...I need to clean out winter debris, leaves, but I can't "see them" to dip them out when the bubbles are going crazy....

I feel like I'm never going to get this straightened out. ANy advice?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Sounds like you used a quat based algicide. They will bubble like crazy! Made that mistake once in my spa and had to drain it. I think time will take care of it but someone who knows more about algicides might have a better answer. Ben's advice of only using polyquat is sound. It will not foam and bubble.

haze_1956 is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst haze_1956 0

I know simethicone will break up bubbles. It in the "gas relief drops" they sell for babies. I use it whenever my 84 year old Mother-in-Law decides to use Dishwashing Detergent in the Dishwasher !! ( I'm sure some of you can picture that scene in "Mr Roberts" with Jack Lemmon) Just a couple drops takes care of a foamy dishwasher, a bottle or two in the pool might work.

lindamom25 Guest

Default Bubbly pool...

I did the same thing last year. WalMart sells a defoamer for spas, I used it for my pool cause I couldn't find anything else. It's a small blue, plastic bottle. Can't recall the name. I dumped the whole thing into our pool and the bubbles went away. It costs around $5.00. Hth)

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Stop! I suspect you still have algae--foam usually means a problem and de-foamers mask it. Go back to our basics--use bleach to raise your pool to shock level:
    If your CYA is 50 or below, raise your Free Chlorine to 15ppm and keep it there--test 3x/day and add bleach to bring it back up. If CYA is 60-90, keep FC at 20. if 100 or more, keep FC at 25.

I have NEVER heard of PolyQuat algaecide foaming--others can, but I never use them.

Keep the FC up until it stays up and doesn't drop, and your water is blue not green. Run the filter 24/7, vacuum every day (to waste).

And Simethicone in your pool must be an April Fool's Day joke!
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD

I have NEVER heard of PolyQuat algaecide foaming--others can, but I never use them.
    Polyquat does not foam but cheap quarternary algacides do! Polyquat and quaternary ammonium compounds are NOT the same thing!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Polyquat does not foam but cheap quarternary algacides do! Polyquat and quaternary ammonium compounds are NOT the same thing!
    Well, what do you know! Learned something--I though Quat meant PolyQuat. Thanks!

But my recommendation stands! Raise FC, and don't use any algaecide but PolyQuat.
    Carl

Well, what do you know! Learned something--I though Quat meant PolyQuat. Thanks!

But my recommendation stands! Raise FC, and don't use any algaecide but PolyQuat.
    Check out the sister website Poolsolutons under:
    10 Tips Your Swimming Pool Dealer
    Probably Won't Give You!

Swimming Pool Secret #8:

at
    http://www.poolsolutions.com/tips/tip08.html)
    Ben discusses the different types of algecides here!
    Many of the questions I have seen asked on the forum Ben has already answered on the Poolsolutions website!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-11-2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: fix URL

Yeah, it's the 10% stuff in the gallon jug. You don't want to use that.

10% = Foam
    30% = No foam, but not a good of a deal per ounce as compared to the 60%
    60% = This is what you want!

Michael

Default Foam

I had the same problem with TONS of foam last year. We broadcast bleach over it and it ate it right up. It looked like someone had put too much soap in a washing machine. Really freaked us out at first but once we saw the bleach busted it up immediately we just started throwing it on top of the foamy spots. Good luck!!
    22,000 gallon vinyl IG located in the heart of North Carolina

+ Reply to Thread