+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Taylor Kit Math Question

Default Taylor Kit Math Question

Hypothetically speaking, I am testing my free chlorine and this is the equation, .02X6=0.12. How do i interpet this answer? Would I say my FC level is .12PPM or 1.2PPM? If the latter is correct, I dont understand it because I am moving the decimal at my own will and not sticking to the math. Could someone please help.I just want to make sure Im not missing something. Thanks,dncellis2.
    26' x 52" round AG pool, ~15K gal, Cartridge filter. BBB method

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Taylor Kit Math Question

For the chlorine tests in then Taylor K-2006 with a 25ml sample you multiply by 0.2 yielding 1.2ppm with six drops. Your math isn't wrong, the factor is.

You can do the same tests with 10ml sample and use far less of the test reagents. With a 10ml sample, you multiply by 0.5 to get ppm.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    For the chlorine tests in then Taylor K-2006 with a 25ml sample you multiply by 0.2 yielding 1.2ppm with six drops. Your math isn't wrong, the factor is.

You can do the same tests with 10ml sample and use far less of the test reagents. With a 10ml sample, you multiply by 0.5 to get ppm.
    Thanks for your answer.Yes I just got the taylor 2006-c, last week.I might add,IT MAKES MY POOL LIFE ENJOYABLE!!!!! And easy. No guessing. But back to the math, it has been a while, a long while, since I was in school but Im just not getting this in my head! If I multiply say .02 X 6 = 0.12 See what im saying? In my little ole mind, I have to move the decimal point to the right by one digit to get 01.2 To me, In order to get it right math wise I multiply .20(not .02) X 6 = 1.2 Its not a big deal to me but I just want to know Im doing things right .I have a very nice pool now and I want to keep it that way.I hate to mess it up because of my math. If you will answer one more time, I ll be indebted to you.Thanks very much,dncellis2

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

You multiply by 0.2, not 0.02.

When you multiply decimals, just forget the decimals to begin and just multiply the whole numbers together. So, 2x6=12 which is the same as 12 with a decimal after it or 12.. Then, you move the decimal one place to the left (since there is one number behind the decimal point in the problem), and you get 1.2. Does that make sense? (By the way, I'm a math teacher and teach this kind of stuff all the time!)

Talking Re: Taylor Kit Math Question

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    You multiply by 0.2, not 0.02.

When you multiply decimals, just forget the decimals to begin and just multiply the whole numbers together. So, 2x6=12 which is the same as 12 with a decimal after it or 12.. Then, you move the decimal one place to the left (since there is one number behind the decimal point in the problem), and you get 1.2. Does that make sense? (By the way, I'm a math teacher and teach this kind of stuff all the time!)
    AWWWWWW Man,I just now got the problem Im having!!I cant beleive this,well yes I can but I been racking my brain trying to figure out why I say .02 to you and Watermom(from another thread) would say 0.2. Im like, is this pool math different than grade school math???? So Ive been going along with it but not liking it cause I didnt know how you guys were were arriving at 0.2 when I THOUGHT It was .02.Anyway, when I read your very first sentence (above),thats when my math problem was solved.Turns out, Im not too stupid,not too crazy,but obviously a little on the" BLIND" side! Wow.It makes perfect sense now. Whew!!, I thought I would have to learn a whole new division of math called Pool Math. All this time Ive been reading the 0.2 as .02.After what you said above,I went to the Taylor test kit box, raised the lid and knew, I mean knew, I would read .02!!!!!!! I finally saw, very clearly now,0.2.Thanks you guys, I am greatful.Best regards,dncellis2.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread