+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Installing a new Intex AGP with saltwater chlorination.

Default Re: Installing a new Intex AGP with saltwater chlorination.

I have been keeping the chlorine level daily between 2 and 4. It will jump up to 5 (6?) possibly after adding a dose of dichlor, which I do if the level has dropped faster then normal, with more use, debris,ect.

So.........are you saying that my daily chlorine levels should be up around 6 for maintanence level? I thought levels above 4.5-5, you may start to see the effect of higher chlorine such as bathing suit deterioration,ect.?

What are normal levels usually?
    4.5k gal 15 x 48 Intex pool; PF=26

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Needed chlorine levels are based on your CYA reading. More info in the chart at this link:> http://pool9.net/cl-cya/

Your CYA level is high enough. Time to stop using Dichlor and switch to bleach.

So, yesterday we did a whole overhaul and cleaning of pool and equipment. Scrubbed sides,floor, vacuumed,ect. I discovered that the water that just sits in all of the connections hoses, had given the hoses a slight film of green algae. Disconnected everything, sprayed out hoses, swiched some diluted bleach water thru them. Also, I ran the filter for 36 straight hours, and the filter was literally green. The water has definately become much clearer after shocking it and running filter a longer hours, earlier this week. Chlorine levels, ph, CYA, and such are all back on track. I have added more salt to get the level (ppm) back up to around 3100 (per SWCG handbook for optimal use) and will just maintain again from here.
    Question I have is, with my CYA level appropriate, how much bleach should i use instead of dichlor at this point? And also HOW OFTEN? Only when needed (algae, cloudy water,ect.), daily?
    Thanks again for advice. Nice to have wife and kids comment on how water clarity looks so much better then a few days ago! haha!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Did you look at the link I put in post #52 above? If not, here it is again:> http://pool9.net/cl-cya/

You will see that your maintenance chlorine levels need to be kept between 3-6 all the time and whenever you need to shock, your shock level will be 15ppm.

Test your pool each evening and then add however much bleach you need to take your chlorine level back up to 6ppm. If you find that by the next evening, you have dipped below 3ppm by the time you test, then take it up to 7ppm instead. The goal is to keep it from ever dropping below 3ppm.

In a 4.5K gallon pool, each quart of 8.25% bleach will add about 4.6ppm of chlorine and each cup will add about 1ppm. You can use those as a reference to help you figure out how much to add each evening.

With time, will get the feel for how much is typically going to need to be added each day. You may find that you can add bleach every other day. But, for now, I'd test it every evening until you learn your pool's pattern of behavior.

Hope this helps.

Cool Re: Installing a new Intex AGP with saltwater chlorination.

Perfect! Great refence again, thank you.

Hello again all,
    After a few days of being out of town on vacation, came back to a pool full of leaves,pine needles, and dirt on the bottom. Cl level maintained at 5-6, with a ph at 7.5 with running SWCG nightly. Pool has not been used in almost a week, so there has not been anyone in it stirring up dirt, to have the filter remove it. Vacuumed it out and scrubbed it today. When we came home I initially noticed a light brown ring around the edges of the pool at the bottom. Could this be from the circulation of the water in the filter process, I assume? I had a few areas of heavy dirt piles on the bottom. This was all taken care of after a scrubbing/vacuum. I have also noticed that the top surface water looks to have some tiny green flakes floating around. I ran the full taylor kit test this afternoon and numbers are as followed:
    cl=6/7
    ph=7.8
    FC=9.5
    CC=4
    CYA=65-70
    salt=3280
    The FC and CC levels are what are concerning to me.
    1) The FC and CC levels seem high---What would you recommend to remedy them?
    2)As far as the small greenish top floaters on surface water---Shock pool with bleach and how much? I will not use dichlor since the CYA level is already at 65-70. I will stick with bleach,yet how will this shock episode affect FC/CC levels for adjustment?

I will keep an eye on the ph for now. Not looking to bust out the Muriatic acid unless necessary.

Just finally order the Unicel filter as well. Running the pump/filter more, I have been flying thru the TYPE A's! Not to mention, they are harder to find around my area with it being middle of August here!

Sorry, another thing....should I turn off the SWCG and deal only with bleach until levels come down?
    Thanks all again!

Try the FC and CC tests again. It would be very unlikely that you would have a CC reading of 4. Here are some testing demo videos that may be helpful.

http://pool9.net/K2006-vid/

Must have missed my extra cup of coffee this am!! Sorry folks, I totally missed a step in my initial post! Repeated the test using the 25ml tube and now have this to report:
    FC=7.6
    CC=0.4
    Makes much more sense now. At this point I think I need a good dose(s) of bleach tonight to shock it. Its too cool to swim today, and we are expecting rain tomorrow, so this will hopefully be the perfect time to shock this thing and let the clarity clear up, without having to worry about swimmers for the next 24-36 hours.

+ Reply to Thread