+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Installing a new Intex AGP with saltwater chlorination.

Default Re: Installing a new Intex AGP with saltwater chlorination.

Hello folk, just looking to touch base with some test numbers to make sure Iam still on course. Our pool has been up and filled since Mother's Day, and we have had NO issues at all, thanks to everyones advice and the help on this site! Thanks a million! Our pool get pretty much direct sunlight from about 10am til 6pm daily. Our temp is up to about 78 degrees, and the whole family (and neighbors) are enjoying it! Nothing like walking into your backyard to cool off!
    *I run the pump/filter nightly from 6-8 hours, depending on that days usage, or if alot of debris has blown into pool.
    *I run the SWCG anywhere from 5-7 hours night also, depending on on CL numbers and that days usage.
    *I usually only test for CL and pH levels daily, and then every 10-14 days run the full Taylor kit tests.

Using the Taylor kit my numbers this am are as followed:
    FC=4
    CC=0.2
    ph=7.5
    Alkalinity=70
    Calcium Hardness=80
    CYA=40
    salt=2750ppm

I only run pump and SWCG nightly to maintain my CL levels. After a weekend or a couple of days of heavy usage, or if CL drops rapidly, I will pick a night--skip SWCG usage, and add a dose of dichlor/borax to bump up levels by morning. I have only had to do that once.
    Any advice or recommendations on anything based on these numbers? Like I said, we have a totally clear pool which holds daily CL and ph levels really good.
    Thanks in advance!
    BTW...I emailed off some photos of our pools build process from start to finish, yet I can't find them anywhere?
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-22-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: fix typo
    4.5k gal 15 x 48 Intex pool; PF=26

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Your numbers look fine. The only thing I am wondering about is your CYA. Does your SWCG manual not call for a higher reading than that?

Can't remember if we suggested this to you previously and don't have time right now to rescan the whole thread to find out but...... just use a 10mL sample instead of a 25mL one. It will make your testing reagents last longer. You'll multiply by 0.5 instead of 0.2.

Did you disconnect the copper electrode to your SWCG?

Yes I unplugged the copper electrode from day one. I had issues initially getting the CYA up. The SWCG has been very consistent in keeping the CL in range, and I am not seeing giant shifts in the CL, so I assume the CYA level is functional at its level?
    Would it be wise to NOT use the SWCG for a couple of days, and instead add a nightly dose of dichlor/borax to up the CYA, retest and if find, continue on using SWCG from there? Or just stay the same course, I am on?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Do you have your manual for your unit? Or can look it up online? I'd try and find out what the required CYA level is for your SWCG.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

All the manuals are available online at http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/manual-video/

Yes, so according to the Intex "preferred water chemistry readings", they have this in the manual for CYA levels:
    Minimum-10ppm
    Ideal-20-40ppm
    maximum-50ppm

They also have readings for free chlorine:
    minimum-0ppm
    ideal-0.5-3.0ppm
    maximum-5.0ppm

Combined Chlorine:
    minimum-0
    ideal-0
    maximum-0.2ppm

pH:
    minimum-7.2
    ideal-7.4-7.6
    maximum-7.8

I guess based on their preferred readings, my CYA of 40 is right in the middle. Does this seem to low? Do I assume that since I am maintaining consistant levels for pH and CL, have a clear pool with no signs of algae bloom,ect. that this is ok?
    Thanks everyone again.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

You can certainly run a pool successfully with those levels.

Hello all! It has been a great summer so far with our pool and all things seem to be pretty much right on course. I noticed over the past couple of days, that the pool water has a slight haziness look to it? I did the full Taylor test this am and the results are as followed:
    fc=2
    cc=0
    ph=7.5
    alkalinity=70
    calcium hardness=70
    CYA=50-55
    salt= 6 or equivalent to 2490ppm
    CL=2.5
    Due to splashing around, rain water,ect. I will add more pool salt to get the salt level up to at least 3000ppm, which is recommended for the SWCG. I have a newly replaced pump filter.
    **Along with adding more salt, and running pump for a few hours to mix it in, should I turn off the SWCG tonight, and add in a 1/2 or 1/4 dose of dichlor/borax mixture to help clean up slight haziness??
    Any suggestions or previous experience (stories) much appreciated.
    Thanks

It wouldn't hurt and the haziness may be from your chlorine being a little low. If that is the case, shocking it may help clear it up.

Keep in mind that your NORMAL chlorine level needs to be about 10% of your CYA level -- so 6 ppm in your case. You can go as low as 5% if EVERYTHING is perfect -- low bather load, no thunderstorm debris, good filtration, no trace of algae, etc -- but otherwise it needs to be closer to 10%.

'Recovery' chlorination needs to be 10 - 20% of your CYA level, (9 - 12 ppm), and is probably what you need at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread