+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing a new Intex AGP with saltwater chlorination.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Installing a new Intex AGP with saltwater chlorination.

One of the things I like about dichlor for startup is that it's the second quickest way to get CYA in the water (pre-dissolved, liquid CYA being faster). No need to wait; when the dichlor's dissolved, the pool has it's CYA.

1) I would continue to chlorinate as needed with dichlor / Borax until a total of 4 lbs (about five 3/4C doses) of dichlor are used. At that point (a few hours after the latest dose of dichlor), measure CYA and report back total dichlor used, current CYA level, pH, TA, FC and CC.

2) Sort of. FC of 1-4 might be kinda low. Please consult Ben's Best Guess Chart and find FC range for given CYA level. This can be reduced a bit for SWCG users who run SWCG during daylight and swimming times but tweak that later - let's get the pool running now.

3) Nope, dichlor until CYA level is established then get chlorine from SWCG, supplement with bleach as needed.

4) email pictures to poolforum@gmail.com, reference thread 23425.

edit: Uhh ... What PoolDoc says goes.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    One of the things . . .
    Hm-m-mh. Simul-post much?

Thank You!
    Since yesterday mornings CL level was "orange" (guessing 15-20) and has dropped down to 5 now, I think I am going to wait and let the chlorine level drop a little, stay with using the dichlor/borax to maintain chlorine levels and to build up CYA when needed, for a few more doses.....and then turn on the SWCG.

You guys have been great in my start up, can't give praise enough!
    4.5k gal 15 x 48 Intex pool; PF=26

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

thanks.

Well, it has officially been one week and we are totally pleased with how things in "pool chemical country" are concerned so far! We have crystal clear water, that is holding a steady chlorine level (4-5) as well as a steady ph (7.4). Granted the temps have been cooler last week, and very minimal usage due to the water temp still around 70 degrees. I am anxiously waiting for my K-2006 test kit, due to be delivered in another week. At that point I will make a full set of test results and use these as my base line for the rest of the summer and how to tackle any sudden water issues.
    I have not added anything...I mean nothing for the last 4 days chemical wise. No bleach, borax, dichlor, nothing. I still have crystal clear water, with NO signs of any cloudy water or any green algae growth. I have run the filter pump for 6 hrs each night, and have yet to SWCG. According to my last salt test, I believe Iam at 2700ppm. I believe the Intex SWCG I have works best on 3000ppm? Once I see chlorine levels dip a little I will fire up the SWCG and maintain levels, AND if need be add any additional salt to allow the SWCG to work as efficiently as it can.

My curious question: is it possible for me to go 4-7 days without adding any chemicals (bleach or dichlor/borax) and still maintain stable CL and pH levels day after day? I feel that each night, testing the levels I will see some major divergence in numbers, which would result in making some sort of overnight adjustment. Can using the BBB method be this simple and efficient. I do totally expect that with warmer temps, and more usage of the pool, that numbers will definately fluctuate, but for now I am loving it! So easy.
    As far as the SWCG is concerned, I plan on letting CL levels drop down to 2 or 3 and then start nightly use of it. Should I test salt levels again, and raise them now according to what the SWCG recommends, OR wait and see how the SWCG runs at its current level? This intex system, will let me know if salt levels are to low, therefore, I will have to shut it down and slowly dissolve in small amounts to make the machine happy. THoughts on this anyone??

If you mean, can you go 7 days without adding anything, other than operating an SWCG, then the answer is yes.

If you mean, can you go 7 days without adding anything and without using an SWCG . . . the answer is, "Not without special prep" *or* using the HiC2 method" (CYA> 150 ppm; FC > 15 ppm 1x per week).

Ok....our INtex 15'x48" metal frame has been up and running since Mother's day with no issues except, this New England weather hasn't made it the warmest,pool swimming temps yet this year! After using the 6-way test kit from Walmart, I have been able to stabilize the pH and CL each day to be within acceptable ranges, and we have NO sign of any algae growth and NO cloudy water issues! Yippy! I finally received my Taylor k-2006 kit yesterday and todays official numbers are as followed:
    FC=3ppm
    CC= 0.5
    pH=7.5
    Total Alkalinity=70ppm
    Calcium Hardness=80ppm
    CYA= 30ppm. I added test fluid until it reached the top of the testing tube which was 30ppm, yet I could still see the black dot. Very cloudy, but still visible.
    I also tested the salt level, and it was 1960ppm. The INtex SWCG I am using likes at least 2500ppm, so I threw in more salt, and ran the pump 24 hrs dissolving it, and finally ended up with a salt level of 2490ppm. I will occasionally test and add salt as necessary depending on how much water we splash out of pool and if any more water needs to be added in the future.
    Since Mothers Day I have only added 4 doses of dichlor/borax mixture, totally 3 cups. (1 dose=3/4 for 4450 gallons).
    I continue to run the filter pump for 6 hrs nightly and the SWCG for 5 hrs nightly, and have found that pH and CL levels each mornings are right in range and good.

My questions at this point are:
    1) Do I have to worry about that lower CYA level and the black dot test results? If I start to see chlorine burning off quicker with more frequent pool use and hotter sunny days (pool is mainly full sun exposure), do you recommend using a CYA chemical to up it a little? I guess I could use maybe 1/2 dose of dichlor/borax to up the CYA..keeping in mind that it will also up CL, so I probably won't have to run the SWCG for a small time frame to allow CL levels to stabilize?
    2) Do I need to worry much about the Total alkalinity and/or calcium hardness levels with this seasonal setup?
    3) How about the FC and CC test results? Any reason to be concerned or need for adjustment on either of these two?

Thanks again for everyones help on using the BBB method! Close friends are impressed with how crystal clear our pool has stayed and how much knowledge I have gained from this website and its forum questions and answers! As a matter of fact, last week while at a big box store, I overheard a young lady and her mother talking about buying all these chemicals that were on sale because they were last years supply. I interrupted them and told them to look into the BBB method and this website and about the ease of using all this info to better your pool with less harsh chemicals! She immediately started taking note of your website and its advice! Looking forward to a hot, sunny summer with clear water, and an enjoyable AG pool!!!

1. Your CYA is low, for use with an SWCG. Add some stabilizer . . . or use some dichlor. Sams Club has inexpensive undiluted dichlor: http://pool9.net/sams-dichlor24/

2. Only worry about calcium if it's too HIGH (> 300 ppm). You can ignore it. Only worry about TA if it's too high (>160 ppm) OR if you are having trouble with the pH level wandering all over the place.

3. Normally, with the FAS-DPD test, you shouldn't be concerned with a 1 drop CC reading (0.5 ppm with 10ml sample, 0.2 ppm with a 25 ml sample). If you continue to see a 0.5 ppm CC, you can run a test with a 25 ml sample, and see if it's just a '1 drop' error, or if you really do have 0.4 or 0.6 ppm CC.

Even then, on outdoor pools CC levels quickly disappear if you maintain chlorine levels -- and have some sunshine.

Oh, and thanks for the promotion!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Oh, and thanks for the promotion!
    Of course, that means you will probably not be the pool store's favorite customer!

Your SWCG manual should give the recommended CYA level for that particular unit.

+ Reply to Thread