+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing a new Intex AGP with saltwater chlorination.

Default Re: New INtex AGP with saltwater...

Sounds good, thank you! Yes, I was wondering if it was worth starting up the SWCG now to assist with the chlorine, or wait until the chlorine level has stabilized along with the CYA together, and then start using it? Looks like I only have a couple of CYA test in my kit.........do they sell individual CYA testing kit?

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Do you know how much dichlor you've used(easy if it came in 1lb bags)? We could calculate approximate CYA added by dichlor if we knew. No need to test CYA every day, as you know there are very few tests in the kit.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Yes I have used 1 dose, which for 4400 gallons is 3/4 cup, and I have also added equal part (3/4 cup) Borax at same time the last 2 nights. My wife picked up a salt stick test kit today also. Tested that and it came up around 5.4 reading which on this test kit equals 1960ppm.

I understand that the CYA will take a little while to up itself with this being a fresh fill only 2 days ago.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

To answer another of your questions above, yes, you can just buy CYA reagent. That is one that runs out quickly. It is R-0013 and if you click on the test kit link in my signature, you'll find the link to be able to order it at Amazon.

Tested CL and pH this am before leaving for work and got this:
    CL=orange color....guessing above 20ppm?
    pH=7.5

Assuming the 3/4 cup dichlor and 3/4 cup borax nightly has obviously raised chlorine levels. Will test again tonight, run pump again for another 6 hrs overnight. I am thinking of skipping tonight dichlor/borax dump in, and to see how much the chlorine will drop in a 24 hr period. Will then check again tomorrow morning as well as, I will now turn on the SWCG nightly and see what readings will be running that.

**Once levels are all stable, should I add anything nightly to maintain? Smaller amounts of dichlor/borax, bleach,ect?
    Thanks for info, I have told my wife I am hell-bent on preventing any weird color bloom in the water if possible! haha!
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-21-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    4.5k gal 15 x 48 Intex pool; PF=26

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

If the OTO is orange this evening, skip tonight's dose.

I could be way off, but I think 3/4C of dichlor should be between 9 and 12oz. If it is, in 4400 gallons, it will raise CYA 8-10 for each dose. Once you've used 5 doses, test CYA again.

After the CYA is about 50, you might consider using bleach for daily (nightly) chlorination. If the dichlor is bagged, use up any open bags before switching.

"Nightly to maintain": Test FC, CC, and pH nightly. Add enough chlorine so that the FC is at or above the minimum on the Best Guess chart when you test the next evening.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Installing a new Intex AGP with saltwater chlorination.

. . . membership upgraded. Cool thread!

Do you have pictures I can post? (poolforum@gmail.com) Or you can post them, using Photobucket or whatever.

Yes, photos to come this week! I have pics from the initial spray painted circle in the grass, to leveling, tarp and foam board underlament, pool set-up, and water in! Coming soon

Day 4 and things are looking great. Water is clear, temps up to 68 degrees. Skipped last nights dichlor/borax dose and ran pump 6hrs.
    This mornings readings:
    pH=7.4
    CL=5
    ALkalinity= 80
    hardness= 90
    salt= showed 6 on scale equaling 2490ppm

Looking to continue running filter pump 6hrs a night, and will start SWCG tonight. If the SWCG shows that the salt level is to low, I will turn that off, and use the included SWCG guide/manual on how to add a little salt to up the PPM, wait for that to completely dissolve and then resume using SWCG. I understand that its important to add the salt in small increments to get the salt ppm reading up for the SWCG to operate efficiently and produce chlorine, also knowing that the only way to DECREASE the salt ppm is to drain some water and refill.

I think the only questions I have are:
    1)When should I test my CYA again? I realize that an accurate reading may take a few days to get since the CYA is a slow developer.
    2)If my chlorine level stays in the range of 1 -4 (ideally) without dropping off daily to fast, is it safe to say the CYA has been established? Will I ever need to add a separate CYA chemical to keep its reading with in range? (2 days ago the CYA ready 30ppm and I could STILL see the black dot on test tube)
    3)If the SWCG can maintain accurate and safe chlorine levels (checking them daily of course), do I still need to add any dichlor/borax nightly dose for maitanence? I realize that with more activity and hot direct sunlight days this summer, this will also affect and vary the chlorine levels.
    4)How can I add photos of my project of this pool--start to finish--would like to share.

Taylor k2006 I ordered from amazon is on backorder and not arriving til June 2 at the earliest, so for now I have been using the HTH 6way test kit from Walmart.
    Thanks in advance as usual everyone!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. I'd wait at least till you've used 5 more doses of dichlor

2,3. CYA is effective in any range above 20 ppm. However, your SWCG will keep up better at higher levels. With the Intex SWCG, you'll probably need to 'boost' chlorine levels weekly with either some dichlor or some bleach.

4. Either email them to poolforum@gmail.com (FULL SIZE!) or post them using links Photobucket, Picasa or what have you.

+ Reply to Thread