+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie POOL person here...

Default Newbie POOL person here...

Wanted to say hello.

I am looking to build my 1st pool and decided to go with gunite. Looking at some other builders.

So far for 16x30 is about $33K. That is with sundeck all around as you see and even on my extended patio and covered patio area.

One fountain, sun deck and rock water fall.

On this site. I been reading allot and some of it just brain farts me. So I wont strees over chemical balance till I know what I need to learn from the pool guys when they come out and teach me.

As for cleaner, the builder told me they will run both Ozone and NaturalII system.
    For pool cleaner, I have my choice from either a POLARIS or Ultimate Platium (I think thats what its called)

Well here is a scale pic of it in my back yard.

Thanks

Default Re: Newbie POOL person here...

Quote Originally Posted by Pool_Mike
    As for cleaner, the builder told me they will run both Ozone and NaturalII system.
    Search past threads for Nature 2 and Ozone (also check www.poolsolutions.com). Most (90%) agree the Nature 2 does NOTHING and that ozone is not effective because it leaves NO residual in the pool. Get a credit for both items and use bleach... or even pool store chlorine!
    Outside of Philadelphia, PA
    18' x 40' IG - 22K gallons
    Sylvan Gunite Pool (1979)
    Plaster re-done (1997)
    48 Sq Ft Hayward D.E. Filter (2003)
    1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump (2006)

Yea I was reading something about OZONE being useless if the pool is not like $100,000 for the setup to work. About the naturalII I just understand its minerals that cycle through the pool. Sales rep says its just like the spring water that flows in the mountains and claims that is why no alge is effected by it and it prevents it.

I might just do the old school pool chlorine, I mean since my kids, wife and I does not effect us.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yea I was reading something about OZONE being useless if the pool is not like $100,000 for the setup to work. About the naturalII I just understand its minerals that cycle through the pool. Sales rep says its just like the spring water that flows in the mountains and claims that is why no alge is effected by it and it prevents it.

I might just do the old school pool chlorine, I mean since my kids, wife and I does not effect us.
    Sorry, that "spring water" BS is nothing but sales hype. Nature2 adds traces of silver and copper to your water. That's it. You and your kids are better off not injesting that. There's already chlorine in your drinking water.

I've seen spring water--and seen sheep standing knee-deep upstream in it--would YOU drink water after seeing that???
    Carl

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Exclamation Re: Newbie POOL person here...

Sales rep says its just like the spring water that flows in the mountains and claims that is why no alge is effected by it and it prevents it.
    Oh, I *love* that quote. It's so typical of 'mineral' (copper) and ozone marketing: all image and feeling, with no real substance!

. . . Almost by definition, "spring water" does NOT "flow in the mountains". Spring water usually emerges at the BASE of mountains and hills; mountain creeks are filled with surface runoff, or from shallow 'springs' that are really nothing more than runoff that sank in a few feet, hit rock, and ran till it came to the rock's edge.

Oh yes . . . there's plenty of algae and biofilm in mountain creeks, as anyone who's tried to avoid slipping when crossing has found! There's often not much planktonic (ie, free-floating) algae due to low temperatures and a lack of nutrients.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    Sorry, that "spring water" BS is nothing but sales hype. Nature2 adds traces of silver and copper to your water. That's it. You and your kids are better off not injesting that. There's already chlorine in your drinking water.

I've seen spring water--and seen sheep standing knee-deep upstream in it--would YOU drink water after seeing that???
    I hear that. I will just go to old school pool chlorine setup. Seems like the way to go. Unless I missed something?!?!?

Ok so before I get back w/ the pool builder. Do I just say I don't want the Ozone and NatureII and just go with the basic pool chlorine setup , which I assume is standard. This is what you guys recommend, correct?

See.. I am a Newbie

joelq is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst joelq 0

My PB only uses SWG and will supplement it with Ozone (Ultrapure). I asked my rep to please remove the ozone as I'm happy with just SWG. He said he really wanted me to have the Ozone so he was going throw it in for "free" and credited me back the cost of the ozone. I figured I had nothing to lose.

Have you considered SWG? Maybe you can see if your PB will be willing to do a similar deal for you?

Quote Originally Posted by joelq
    My PB only uses SWG and will supplement it with Ozone (Ultrapure). I asked my rep to please remove the ozone as I'm happy with just SWG. He said he really wanted me to have the Ozone so he was going throw it in for "free" and credited me back the cost of the ozone. I figured I had nothing to lose.

Have you considered SWG? Maybe you can see if your PB will be willing to do a similar deal for you?

I have no idea what "PB" or "SWG" means or stands for. can you help me out?

So that I can ask the builder about it? Thanks

joelq is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst joelq 0

Sorry!

PB = Pool Builder
    SWG = Saltwater Generator.

You've probably heard of "saltwater pools". The SWG is what automatically generates the chlorine from the salt in the water so you don't have to add chlorine yourself.

Hope this helps! I am FAR from an expert, but have learned so much from the folks in here. We are waiting for our building permits, and hope to start building in the next two weeks.

+ Reply to Thread