I'm trying to use the Hamilton Index, which seems like an easy way to go. It uses total hardness, but I don't see any test kits, besides test strips, that test for total hardness. They only test for calcium hardness.

How do I test for total hardness?

Is using the Hamilton Index a good way to go?