+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water Balance: Adjust alkalinity first, then PH . . . Or Not

Marter, Dave Guest

Question Water Balance: Adjust alkalinity first, then PH . . . Or Not

Alkalinity is over 200 PPM. In the past I have used muratic acid to lower it, but when I use the Arm and Hammer sodium carbonate, recommended by you, the PH as well as the akalinity goes up. How do I do this?? I have looked at this site bfore and found solutions before that has saved me $$$. I now registered to ask for advice. Maybe I expect too much too fast, or am adding to much too soon.?

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Water Balance: Adjust alkalinity first, then PH

Reducing TA takes awhile so be patient.
    The process is to reduce pH with Muriatic acid and then raise it with aeration. Aeration will raise pH without raising TA. Raising pH with washing soda, baking soda or borax will also raise TA.
    Do you have a waterfall or another water feature to aerate? if not, point the return eyeballs toward the surface.
    We recommend washing soda and baking soda for raising TA. Borax for raising pH.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Big Dave has it right. It's an iterative process...
    Lower pH, T/A comes down.
    Raise pH by aeration.
    Repeat.
    Carl

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Water Balance: Adjust alkalinity first, then PH . . . or Not!

1. Membership updated.

2. The "Alkalinity first" slogan was created by Arm and Hammer, as far as I can tell, for the purpose of marketing excess amounts of sodium bicarb. It's occasionally right, but generally a bad idea.

3. Always use borax to raise your pH, if your alkalinity is already high. You could also use caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) but it's dangerous and usually expensive in the forms available to consumers.

4. The full explanation of managing alkalinity is here: http://pool9.net/alk-step

5. PoolSolutions (me) has been recommending sodium bicarb or baking soda for alkalinity for nearly 20 years, but the only reason I recommended Arm and Hammer brand was that that was what was available. *Any* consumer brand of sodium bicarbonate, or sodium carbonate (washing soda) is fine . . . provided you use them correctly. See #3 above.

6. Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    We recommend washing soda and baking soda for raising TA. Borax for raising pH.
    Can you expand on this a little? My TA is getting low (70) and my pH dropped from 7.4 to 7.2 (Is that a lot?) and I am confused about whether to us Sodium Bicarb or Borax. The FAQ of alkalinity isn't at all clear on what exactly does what and what range these chemical readings need to be. There are some conflicting descriptions and results when you start trying to put together a big picture. It's like, the closer I look, the less I see. :-)
    25,750 ga 18x36 Rectangle IG Vinyl liner; Hayward 250 sand filter; 1.5 hp pump. PF=4.4

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

0.2 pH units isn't much -- a pool will vary that much from day to day, just because 'it want's to'!

TA is bit low; you can add a box of borax and raise both pH and TA a bit. Or, you can add a box of baking soda (5 - 10 lbs) which will mostly raise TA.

I've tried to avoid getting rigid with the numbers -- there are many, many combinations of values that will work. Being very specific about what your numbers MUST be is easier to understand, but harder to carry out.

We've opted to make your brain work more, so you can work less on your pool!

So you are thinking a whole 4# box of borax? Any ideas on how much it will raise each of them?

**EDIT** Actually, I just added 4# of baking soda. I think I will test later tonight and perhaps add another box of either baking soda or borax.
    Last edited by Tom.B; 05-29-2014 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Additional info
    25,750 ga 18x36 Rectangle IG Vinyl liner; Hayward 250 sand filter; 1.5 hp pump. PF=4.4

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

AHHH HAAAAA!!! Mind blown... Thank you very much.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

I hope "AHHH HAAAAA!!! Mind blown" was a good "mind blown" and not, "oh, no, now I am more confused than ever!"

+ Reply to Thread