+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 100,000 gal pool

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: 100,000 gal pool

I'm a little leery to comment on such a big pool, but generally what these numbers mean is:

pH of 8.0 is too high and you should add Muriatic Acid to bring it down. I'd suggest to 7.0 or 7.1 because of the high TA level.

TA is 160 which for a concrete pool with a high pH and high CH level is too high. Therefore I'd suggest our ratcheting down method of lowering TA. Lower pH with acid which lowers TA as well, aerate to raise pH without re-raising TA. Repeat until TA is between 80 and 120.

CH is a bit too high -- 400 is generally the recommended upper limit for concrete pools. But with a few backwashes it will come down. Do NOT use Cal-Hypo anymore or add calcium since CH is 440.

CYA is generally fine at 40. FC should be maintained at 3-6ppm, shock at 15ppm

FC: too low
    CC: too high.

Ben will give you better and more detailed recommendations and make any corrections he deems appropriate.
    Carl

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

The fact that you have CC=2.0 is not good.

You need add muriatic acid till the pH comes down. Read http://pool9.net/ma so you can handle it correctly and then add acid, a gallon at a time. Make sure the pump is on while you add the acid, and for at least 2 hours after. Continue to dose with gallon doses till the pH is 7.8 or below.

For a 100K gallon pool, with CC=2, dose with the dichlor at the rate of 1/2 gallon (about 5 pounds) at a time.

?'s:

1. What does the water look like? (clear/cloudy/opaque; blue/gray/greenish/dark green; odorless/chlorine smell/swamp smell
    2. Are you running your pump 24/7?
    3. Have you opened and cleaned the filter this season?
    4. Can you purchase 100# drums of calcium hypochlorite?

Please explain these dimension:
    Size 260"x260"x272" pool 96" spa
    260" = 21' 8"
    272" = 22' 8"

5. Are you saying your pool is a 22' cubic hole in the ground?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

This is why I said Ben is better with such giant pools than me. I'd never think to add Cal-Hypo to a pool with Calcium Hardness at 440ppm.
    Carl

Hi, this morning the pool is light green & milky. The 100# dichlor was scattered in before I got this post. 1 gal of muriatic acid was added last night. This is the lightest green the pool has been since last September!

Is there a way I could post a picture of the pool? It's very irregularly shaped.

Yes, the pump is running 24/7. The filter has been cleaned a number of times. It was back washed yesterday.

I will test the water again this evening & send the results.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The pool smells like the ocean.

I emailed the pictures.

FC .6ppm
    CC 1.2ppm
    pH below 7.0
    TA 80
    CH 500ppm
    CYA-I don't know if this is correct, I will retest.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Definitely, do not add either baking soda or washing soda, with those values. If you raise the pH with washing soda (soda ash, sodium carbonate, pH Up, etc.) while having a CH=500, you're likely to precipitate calcium carbonate and make your pool look like milk.

You *can* use cal hypo, but add it via the skimmer after making SURE -- 100% sure -- that there is no feeder or gizmo anywhere between the skimmer and the filter. Also do NOT add CYA immediately after adding cal hypo, and do not add cal hypo within 3 days of adding CYA to the skimmer.

BUT . . . raise your pH, ASAP. You could use caustic soda, but that stuff is nasty to work with and usually expensive for consumers. Instead, go to Walmart and clean them out (up to 20 boxes): http://pool9.net/borax/ (Actual box is now mostly white, not green.)

Add boxes, 5 at a time, to your skimmer. Do it slowly, with the skimmer running. Do NOT choke the skimmer: borax can 'meld' together and form a solid, hard-to-dissolve, lump in your pipes if you do. Wait 4 hours to retest your pH.

May 21 at 8:52 AM

ToThe PoolForum

Hi,

The CYA was way below the 100 mark. I tested it 3x. So I guess it's high.

The original owner of the house & the one who had the pool built told us it was 100,000 gals. The original filter was 90 until 2012 when this new one was bought.

Half of it is 8' deep & the other half is 5'. The push out area is 3' deep.

Here are the measurements just taken:
    Length 48'1"
    Width 40'2"

Thank you for your help.

1. Retest CYA by mixing 1/4 cup of pool water with 3/4 cup tap water, and then testing the mix. Multiply your result x4.

2. Assuming a 'box' pool, with all right angles, and calculating 2 boxes, one 24 x 40 x 8 and one 24 x 40 x 5, you end up with ~90,000 gallons. But your pool is probably not a 'box', but is some sort of 'free-form' pool. And probably the transition from 8' to 5' is gradual, and is in the 'deep' section. Also, 5' water depth is VERY unusual, and is something I've never seen. I have seen 4.5' -- and people complained about it constantly.

If you can email your address to me, I'll take a look on Google maps, and see if I can do a better calculation. Another way to calculate volume is to carefully measure TA, add baking soda, wait 4 hours with pump ON, and then retest TA. 40# (you can get it as 8 -12 lb bags or boxes at Walmart or Sams) of soda should increase your TA about 30 ppm *IF* your volume is 90,000 gallons. If you add 40 lbs, and your TA increases MORE, than your volume is smaller.

Test TA accurately, add an exact amount of baking soda, wait, and test accurately again. Give me the EXACT numbers, and I'll recalculate volume.

Meanwhile, you need to be adding at least 5 gallons of PLAIN 8% bleach to your pool EVERY evening.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-24-2014 at 07:49 AM. Reason: fix typo

For #1-CYA 140
    For #2-What you said is correct.
    For #3-I'll try that.

Here are the other results:
    CYA 140
    pH 7.5
    FC .4ppm
    CC .4ppm
    TA 120ppm
    CH 500