+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: community pool just does not get clear!

Default community pool just does not get clear!

40,000 gal. inground pool, pH 7.4, FC 10, CC 0.5, TA 100, CYA 30. Tests done with Taylor K-2006.
    We tried to turn our green swamp into a clear pool without emptying it. This might have been a bad idea. Now the pool is blue but not clear. We can't see the bottom of 5 ft. We also had a lot of white foam on the pool when we started this after backwashing. Now the foam has stopped. Do we have to let all the water out or just some, or is there anything else we can do to get it clear and sparkling? Please help!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: pool just does not get clear!

Filtration is the way to clear the cloud after killing the algae. Please tell us more about your filter and pump and what chemicals you've used so far.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Please list:

1. Your filter and pump make / model. (Pump model is usually on the WET end, not on the electric motor. Motor will give you HP, amps, and SF (service factor), but not pump info.)

2. ALL the chemicals you've used since you started opening, in approximate quantities.

3. Approximate dates (open, physical cleaning done, chems added. etc.)

. . . I've got to run. I'll add to this later this evening. Meanwhile, if you have a sand filter, it would be a good idea to purchase a bag of DE filter powder. The DE will BOTH enable you to 'test' your filter, AND help you clear up any fine particles in the water.

We have a Pentair Challenger 5 Hp pump and two 36" sand filters. I have so far added 4 times 11 jugs (96 fl oz) 6% bleach and 1 time 14 jugs (96 fl oz) of bleach. I waited a day or two in between putting in the bleach. I also used approx. 2 lbs of Super Chlo Calcium Hypochlorite (67%) twice when I had no bleach at hand. Brushed a lot and fished out a lot and backwashed 6 or 7 times. Put in approx. 25 lbs of soda bicarb to raise the TA and one jug muratic acid to get the pH from purple down to red.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Presumably, that's a very big pool: how big?

Meanwhile, you'll need to get a 25# bag of DE powder:
    Diatomaceous Earth (DE) Pool Filter Powder 25 LBS. @ Amazon.
    You may be able to get it for less, locally at Home Depot, Lowes or a pool store. You'll need it BOTH to test your filter, and to help cleaning up the water.

And, you'll also need a K2006 test kit - links below in my signature.

Re-reading this, I'm guessing you have a commercial pool? If so, you need to get the K2006C (2 oz size) PLUS (2) K1000 kits. Also, you need to tell me what your daily bather load is, and whether the pool is outdoors or inside.

The pool belongs to a home owners association and I am a home owner who takes care of it. The pool is L-shaped and holds approx. 38,000 to 40,000 gal. of water. It is not open right now. We just bought 25 pounds of DE. I have never worked with DE but assume you put it in the sand filters. Correct? If yes - we will put it in this afternoon, because I need some help doing this.

Do NOT put it directly into the filters!

Instead, put about 2 quarts -- 1/2 gallon -- of DE into a skimmer while the pump is ON. Then, go watch the return jet closest to the filters. If DE shoots back into the pool, your filters need service. If not, the DE will help filter fine particles, but will likely cause the pump pressure to rise much more quickly, so you may need to backwash in much less time than usual.

You'll still need the kits . . .

When you wrote that the "pool just does not get clear", did you mean just this spring, or normally?

Also, what chemicals and processes have you used trying to clear the pool this spring?

I ment only this spring it does not get clear. In the 20 years that I lived here they always drained the pool completly and started with fresh city water. This year we wanted to see if we can turn it from swamp to clear for the first time. After I have spent endless hours working on this (approx. 2 per day) I will not do it this way ever again. The electricity to run the pool 24/7 cost the same as new clean water. All the chemicals I have used so far are mentioned in #4! No I am starting with the DE.

Cleaning up swamps can be uneconomical. In years past, when I serviced multiple very large commercial pools, I'd sometimes have to clean a swamp. Usually, I'd dump 3 - 4 gallons of 15% industrial bleach for every 10,000 gallons of pool water (30 - 50 ppm). It would turn gray within an hour and cloudy blue within a day.

But I was buying fresh bleach at ~$0.50/gallon. That was MUCH cheaper than any form of chlorine you or most pool owners can buy.

Test with the DE; give me what test results you've got; tell me what color the pool is; and ORDER the K2006!

One really important point: killing algae is much easier with one very large dose of chlorine, than with 4 smaller doses. The small doses allow the algae to recover, and tend to be wasted.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: community pool just does not get clear!

You should be able to keep it clear over the winter. I always keep my pool open as long as possible so I can keep adding chlorine until the nights start having below freezing temps. Then, I open it early in the spring. My water is always clear. I do not cover my pool in the winter and do have a little dirt in the bottom in the spring, but that is easily vacuumed up.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-07-2014 at 07:41 PM. Reason: edit title

+ Reply to Thread