+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pump problems . . .or timer problems?

Default Pump problems . . .or timer problems?

I have a fairly standard setup. 1.5 hp wisperflow main pump. .75 hp challenger booster pump, intermatic timer that controls both pumps, a SWG, and sand filter. Pool is in ground gunite, about 30K gallons. Entire setup was replaced about 4 years ago. So fairly new.

A few days I noticed the main pump was not running during its normal cycle. Upon investigation, it appears dead, and the booster won't run either. I did the normal things. I checked the breaker (not tripped), I checked the power to the timer (good). I checked the power to the main pump itself (good). I checked whether or not the main pump was seized (turns freely by hand), I checked and even tried another capacitor (appears to not be the issue).

When power is on there is no noise from either pump. Completely silent. I had no issues with the main pump before this happened. The bearings on the booster were replaced about 2-3 week ago.

One final piece of evidence: When the timer is set to the "On" position, I noticed that the lights on the SWG come on for a moment or two then go dark. This seems to indicate a power source issue. If so why is it that I have 220V at each pump?

Any electronic experts have an idea what is going one before I call the lower pool service co?

Default Re: Pump problems

Please ignore.

Problem is bad timer. I measured 110v separately for each lead, not across both 110v to see if there was 220v. When I did it correctly I could see no 220v and that led me to look at the timer. It was slighted melted near the contact mount just enough to cause the contacts to not touch when the switch was flipped.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Reply to Thread