+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward VS pool pump has flashing display, and is not powering on.

nbglendale is offline Commercial pool users, operators, owners nbglendale 0

Default Hayward VS pool pump has flashing display, and is not powering on.

As of about a week ago, my pool pump is not working. I have a hayward sp2300vsp. last week i came home early morning and found that my pump was running in high speed. at this time in the morning the pump should be on its low setting. atleast thats how its always been since the tech installed the pump 3 months ago. so i go look at the led display ang it reads pr8.15 which from what i've learned reading the manual is pr stands for prime. and the 8.15 stands for the amount of time left in prime mode. there is no reason the pump should prime for 8 hrs especially since it had already been running for 6hrs. the pump is only scheduled to run at high speed for 3 hrs. so i tried turning the pump off but when i pushed the run/ stop button the power completely shut off. i tried cutting power at the breaker and turning it back on but the pump wont run. the power led, and the led display blink but the pump wont run. can anyone tell me whats going on. the manual does not desribe any issue where the led display would be flashing.
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 04-30-2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: edit title

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Hayward pool pump not powering on.

Have you had a recent electical storm? Nearby lightning can cause variable spped drives to fail. Call your installer and Hayward. Check your warranty, you may have a claim.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Hayward VS pool pump has flashing display, and is not powering on.

As Dave noted, voltage surges seem to be a common cause of premature VS pump death. Thunderstorms aren't common in AZ, but I think you occasionally get them. Another possible cause is a transformer induced voltage outage. In my area (Chattanooga) when squirrels are in the breeding seasons, and get 'twitterpated', they tend to get migratory AND careless, resulting in 'quick-fried' squirrels and blown transformers.

Anyhow, if the manual doesn't cover a flashing LED display, call Hayward. The VS pump makers don't like talking about it, but these pumps are quite sensitive to voltage surges. The flashing LED may indicate fried electronics (= $$$), but the marketing department may have made the customer service department omit that little tidbit. Most likely, the phone support guys DO have that info in THEIR script book.

If it is fried electronics, expect to spend 75% or more of the cost of a pump for replacement parts.

Please let us know how it goes; we know this problem occurs, and we are pretty sure that the makers are concealing info about frequency -- and thus ways to avoid the problem -- but we don't have much more info than that.

+ Reply to Thread