+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New guy - need some help with self-cleaning system

Default New guy - need some help with self-cleaning system

Hello, I have a pool with the self cleaning pop ups.

The pop ups have stopped working for some reason. I took the lid off the "cleaner" and found that one of the "flaps" was stuck. After loosening it up the water flow into the cleaner does not appear to have enough power to spin the gear drive thingee. it will lazily spin then stop. I have 35 lbs. at the filter. It seems to me that the gears wouldn't require a lot of pressure to operate the flaps as it turns because of the mechanical advantage it has. I would think because of the mechanical advantage it would have lifted the stuck flap. (there are six flaps in the cleaner) It doesn't lift any of the flaps. All the gears appear to be OK and I can operate it just fine when I spin the top gear that the water should drive. The problem may be the various valves in the system are in the wrong position.

At this point I don't know what the valves are supposed to do. I don't have a as built plumbing diagram so I don't know where the pipes going into the ground go to. It's a Shasta pool built in 2004. If I knew how to upload a photo I could provide additional information. I have replaced all o rings so I am confident I don't have an air leak anywhere.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New guy - need some help with self-cleaning system

Hi Bob;

1. Post pictures by linking to them on Photobucket, Flickr or Picasa . . . or email them to me at poolforum@gmail.com

2. Post info on make / model of the cleaner system, if you can.

Beyond that, I can't offer any immediate help. I've never worked on one of those systems, and my knowledge of them is limited to 2 facts: (1) they are tremendous energy and electricity hogs, especially if not fed by a dedicated pump, and (2) they tend to become un-fixable as they age, with problems beginning after 5 years.

But, yours may be repairable, and someone here may have -- and have repaired -- the same system. So specific info increases your chances of getting a helpful response.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread