+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Swimming pool contractor "opening" the pool

Default Swimming pool contractor "opening" the pool

We are having a new liner installed in our in-ground pool by a local pool contractor. As part of the deal, they will "open" the pool. Should I be worried they will use some of the chemicals I read on this forum are hard to displace later on? should I tell them I will do it myself? Should I just make sure I know what they put in?

Thanks!

Default Re: Swimming pool contractor "opening" the pool

I'd want to know what they plan on putting in the pool and run it by the experts here before letting them do it.

When we had our pool installed in 2004 (our first and only pool we've owned) I just kept following the pool installer/store's advice. After constantly spending money and still having problems, I turned to the internet and found this forum. Now I spend much less money and don't have all the problems I had before.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Generally, our rule is: If the contractor is installing a concrete or plaster pool, follow his directions or risk voiding the warranty--because the walls have to cure. But unless the vinyl liner's warranty rests on following the installer's directions for maintaining the water, I'd take JimK's advice and ask what they are putting in--and charging you for!
    You don't want calcium. Calcium is useless for vinyl liners but people add it anyway. It's solely to prevent the breakdown of plaster or concrete walls.
    You don't want ANY algaecide EXCEPT possibly 60% Polyquat...nothing else, especially not ammonia or copper-based algaecide.
    You don't want "Nature II" or any other "natural" system that promises to cut back on your chlorine usage (Except for an SWCG--Salt Water Chlorine Generator).
    You don't want "Phosphate Remover" because with new water you won't have phosphates.
    Carl

It is just a vinyl liner. I will ask what they plan to do.

Ok, I have the pool contractor doing a gasket seal replacement and some minor re-plumbing, but I told them I would handle the initial chemical applications. So, I have 10,000+ gallons (only 12x24 pool) of fresh, city tap water in my pool. Once the mechanicals are ready, where should I start? Liquid chlorine (bleach or 12%)? Should I test for PH before doing anything just to see where the city water is? I ordered a Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006, which shipped today from Amazon, so I hope to have it early next week.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Go ahead and test the pH of your fill water. If you already have water in your pool, you can go ahead and get some bleach in there (or 12% liquid -- either way) so it won't turn green while you are waiting for your plumbing to be done. It doesn't take long for a pool with no chlorine to start growing algae! You can just pour it slowly reaching as far from the edge of the pool as you can. Then, use a clean broom or oar or something to try and stir it around as best as you are able. Alternately, if you have one, you can use a submersible pump to move it around.

Thanks. I think I do have a back up sump pump laying around somewhere that I could use for the time being.

Ready to go....getting liquid chlorine today. I will test water for PH before going to store. I will need stabilizer as well, correct?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yup.
    Carl

I added 1 gallon of 8.25% wal mart bleach and now have free chlorine of 6.4. I assume that will come down on its own? PH is around 8, acid demand says to add just 9 oz of acid. Pool is 10,000/11,000 gallons (estimate)

+ Reply to Thread