Closed Thread

Thread: resurfacing pool...

Default resurfacing pool...

We have a 12,000 gal IG concrete pool with some sort of pebbled surface. We're not sure how old the pool is...house is about 14 years old, we've only been here for about 2.5 years.

Pool store guy was giving us some line about how our surface could be deteriorating and causing some cloudy water issues. He gives us this guys card who does pool resurfacing, and gives you a free evaluation/quote/estimate. The cloudy water issues are resolved now, but when my husband vaccuums the pool, the filter does get some of the blue pebbles from the surface in it. My husband says this has always happened since we've been living in the house (he thought it was normal). The pool store guy said resurfacing needs to be done every 10 years or so.

I really don't want to call this guy for an evalution because I'm sure he'll say "You need a new surface" no matter what. How often does a pool really need to be resurfaced? It sounds expensive and time consuming, so we don't want to do it unless we really have to. Any thoughts?

Default Re: resurfacing pool...

What type of surface do you have now? No matter what it is, one that has been abused or damaged needs to be repaired/redone whether it is 1 month or 10 years old. At about 10 years, it is time to start thinking about most surfaces unless they have been very well cared for and were installed/applied properly in the first place.

An honest business man will give you an honest answer, and if it is "Yes, it needs to be redone," then take his word for it. Get some referrals and more than one opinion. It takes some time, but is worth it.

EricF is offline ** No working email address ** EricF 0

Hmmm...

If the pool man recommended the resurfacing because of the cloudy water, and that has resolved, why does he recommend it now?

It would take more than a few pebbles coming loose after vacuuming to make me resurface the pool. Are there any other problems that would make you think you need to resurface?

If it ain't broke...

Just my opinion.

Thanks for both of your responses/thoughts.

The surface is some kind of pebbled thing. We would definetly get more than one opinion...my husband likes to research and compare. I think the pool guy was just offering it as a reason for our cloudy water...when we told him the surface was probably 10 years old, he said it's probably time and gave us the guy's card. Pool guy hasn't mentioned it again since the cloudiness has gone.

Other than the pebbles in the filter after vaccuuming, I don't think there are any other problems with it. Neither of us has owned a pool before, so it's all kind of new to us.

I guess we'll keep an eye on it, and maybe talk to the guy after the summer is over.

Closed Thread