+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

Default New to the Forum

Hello everyone

My family and I recently rented a house in South Carolina with a 30' above ground pool in the back yard. The pool was filled with algae when we moved in. I tried fighting the algae, and finally gave up and started draining the pool. I am here to try and make sure the algae doesn't reappear, so my family can enjoy the pool as much as possible this summer.

Thanks for having me!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: New to the Forum

1. Get a K2006 test kit ASAP, and post results.

2. Physically remove all debris (leaves, sticks, etc.)

3. Once all the debris is gone, begin adding 1.5 gallons of plain 8% bleach each EVENING.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

. . . membership upgraded.

I had already ordered a K1005 test kit. Cancelled and placed an oder for the K2006. Hopefully I don't get two test kits.

I also ordered borate test strips and phosphate test strips. The pol should be empty and ready to clean in the morning, then I can start refilling it. Once it is filled, what order should I add chemicals to the water?
    20K gal 30ft AG pool; PF=6

What chemicals do you have on hand?
    Do you have access to a Sams Club?
    Do you currently have a SWCG (salt water chlorine generator) or any other type of feeder?

1.) I don't have much on hand. 5 lbs of AquaChem Shock PLUS, 3 lbs of AquaChem Stabilizer, and around 5 lbs of 3" chlorine tablets.
    2.) The nearest Sam's Club is about 40 miles away, and I am not a member.
    3.) I do not have a feeder. I have been putting the chlorine tabs in the skimmer.

I had planned on hitting the commissary tomorrow for bleach, borax, and baking soda. Will probably have to buy all they have and wait for them to refresh their stock when they reopen on Tuesday.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Please don't drain the pool...leave at least one foot of water in it. Above Ground pools use the water to hold the liner in place. And, if it's a round or oval pool, the water pushes out on the walls as part of the support. You may want to stake the wall supports with guy lines and tent stakes to keep them from falling inward with less water.
    Carl

Thank you for the advice. The pool is 4 feet deep, and has approximately 1 foot in the ground, to make the deck height level with the back door of the house. With this, should I keep the water level a foot above ground level? I am currently at 2 feet of water in the pool.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I wouldn't drain the water. I'd follow the other advice to fish as much gunk out of it as you can and hammer it with chlorine. You'd be surprised at how effective it is. If you go to poolsolutions.com, our sister site, click on "Pool Guides" on the left, then click on "Can you kill algae with household bleach? (A demonstration)" you'll see a series of pictures of a pool brought from a science project/swamp to pristine.
    Carl

I stopped the draining at 2 feet, grabbed the water hose and a brush, and cleaned off all the algae I could from the pool sides. Once the debris settles, will remove as much from the bottom as I can using the vacuum head and gravity feed on the water (shouldn't remove more than an inch or two more.)

When all of this started, I put AquaChem Algae Eliminator Max in the water, with 2 pounds of Shock PLUS. After that, I added 1/2 a bottle of Sink & Sweep. When the flocculant didn't appear to work, I took a sample in to the local pool store, who said I ad high phosphates, and sold me a bottle of phosphate remover, and said to put 5 bags of Shock PLUS in the pool with the PhosFREE, then run for 7 days backwashing every other day. All this did was make the pool more cloudy, and eventually, the algae came back.

I'll start refilling tonight, and once I can run the pump again, will begin the recommended 1 1/2 gallon of bleach treatment. Once I get the algae in check, is there any particular order I should add chemicals, i.e., Borax & Muriatic Acid, Stabilizer, Baking Soda?

Thank you both for the help, it is most certainly appreciated!

+ Reply to Thread