+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 1/2 hp pump ?

Cool 2 1/2 hp pump ?

I am getting a pool that comes with a 2 1/2 hp pump. Dual speed with low at 1/2 hp. My pool is a 33' by 52 inch. Filter is 26".I read on another post that the pipe size is important with this size of pump. What do I need to know and what can I do inorder to make sure that it will work properly. I will be having someone come and connect the power to the pump. Will they know what to do or should I make sure I get someone who specializes in connecting pool pumps. I am not knowledgable at all when it comes to machinery or electricity. I allway have someone else do this sort of stuff. Thanks , Sharon

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

Default Re: 2 1/2 hp pump ?

Is the pool built already? If it is not then have them plumb the piping runs with 2" piping which can handle the flow better. I have a 2.5 hp 2 speed pump with 2" plumbing and on high the flow is actually more than I would like for my small pool. I got stuck with my large pump when I requested a two speed pump and that was the only size that was available. As a result I only run it on high to prime or backflush and at startup when the water is cruddy. I switch between high and low speed with a switch located on the back of the pump, nothing fancy. I am curious as to why they are installing such a large pump for your pool, do you have a spa? Make sure that they provide you with some way to switch between low and high speed. Any half decent electrician that works on electric motors should be able to wire the pump up correctly. Good luck.

My pump and filter are up and it has 1 1/2"? pipe fittings. Should I try and have them replaced with 2". I have a brother in law that is a big help when he visits. He could do it I'm sure. The pump came with the pool. It does have a high and low. Low is 1/2 hp. High is 2 1/2 hp. It is a 33' pool by 52". I'm so excited. It is filling now. Thanks, Sharon
    Last edited by newtopools; 06-05-2006 at 06:25 PM.

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

I would not go through the hassle of changing all the lines to 2" unless this is an above ground pool and everything is easy to get to. I would just run the pump on low speed which should be fine and a lot cheaper electricity wise.

+ Reply to Thread