+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Replacing cartridge with sand

Default Replacing cartridge with sand

Is it possible and worth doing to replace my Hayward cartridge with sand filters? I heard they are better but I know nothing about it
    13000 gallon fiberglass, variable speed pump, cartridge filter, chlorine sanitized ,k-2006, also daily 5 item check ( ch, ph,ta,)
    I only trust the k-2006 titration is better for me

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Replacing cartridge with sand

I can't help you with how to replace it but will tell you that sand filters are WAY easier to maintain. I think you'll be glad you switched!

Welcome back to the Pool Forum for another season!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I'm with Watermom, I love my sand filter. That said, why do you want to change?
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

pool isn't all that clean and I read where sand is better but I don't even know where to start. If I have to backwash, don't know what to do and would have to be repiped which is not a problem. I just don't know if Im opening a can of worms Im going to wish I didnt
    13000 gallon fiberglass, variable speed pump, cartridge filter, chlorine sanitized ,k-2006, also daily 5 item check ( ch, ph,ta,)

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

What kind of cartridges do you have? Many cheap knock-off carts don't do the job no matter how much they cost. Filbur, Unicel, or OEM are the only ones recommended here: Recommended equipment for new inground pool.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

The advantage of sand over cartridge is the ease of cleaning the filter. For a sand filter, you simply turn a handle on the top of the filter a couple of times. The whole process takes about 2 minutes tops. Simple, simple. Personally, I will never have anything but a sand filter.

I was under the impression that cartridge filters smaller particles that sand does not. Am I mistaken?

Cleaning my cartridge probably takes 10 or 15 instead of 2.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

my cartridges come from my pool store and I believe they are unicel

If you have quality carts that are in good shape and you're still unhappy with water quality you could try using polyquat 60% to see if it helps filter some of the smaller bits.

An oversized sand filter will filter better than a smaller one (as long as it can be backwashed). With sand you can also polish the water with a little DE to catch finer bits than the sand can by itself.

Some parts of California have water use issues. Is water use limited where you live? Sand filters require occasional backwash - dumping water which must be replaced.

I'm not sure of the water quality Dave but I do have a fresh bottle of 60% polyquat here. I will give it a try. Thanks one Dave to another

+ Reply to Thread