+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Solar Cover Reel Recommendations

Default Solar Cover Reel Recommendations

Group,

I am looking for recommendations for a solar cover reel for an 18’ round AGP. I have searched through the old messages and found different things that people are trying but no comments about the results yet. The 2 common ones that I see are the “FEHERGUARD PREMIUM “ and the “HORIZON VENTURES HV-18”. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Todd

Default Re: Solar Cover Reel Recommendations

We purchased the Feherguard and are totally satisfied with it. We have an AG 27" and I can use it by myself. Took a little longer than we thought putting it together (they should include an engineer in the box) but we have been very happy with it. Couldn't do without it!
    Mary
    27' AG

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

My husband is midway in building ours, based on the design concepts suggested by Huskerfan and Matt4x4 for the reels they had built. See their threads on this, pictures of theirs are included.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

Feherguard is what I've got on my 27' and would buy the same brand again.

David Slowik

Thanks for the great responses and suggestions. While I have the skills and tools necessary to build my own reel as suggested. Unless the retail reels are of such poor quality or value, I think I would rather spend the time in the pool then fabricating a reel. I do however appreciate the suggestions. With that in mind, it looks like the Feherguard seems to be winning. My next question is has anybody tried the Feherguard surface rider model? I kind of like the idea of not having to permanently mount it to the rail. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find documentation as to how it works so I am a little hesitant. The ads say that it works great, they wouldn’t lie would they?

Can't answer about the surface rider, but I'd think a large solar cover would weigh quite a bit when wet. I don't actually have to totally lift mine since I just pivot while holding one end.

I had concerns about mounting to my rails. Especially since I don't have flat rails. Mine rails kind of arch down. So I choose not to mount them to a rail. I sunk 3 4X6 pieces of wood for the rail. One on each side of the pool (right at the rail) and one for it to pivot off to while swimming. It has worked great for me.

David Slowik

+ Reply to Thread