+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question concerning Pool Pump replacement

Default Question concerning Pool Pump replacement

I have a few questions regarding pool pump replacement. My current setup is as follows. 25k gallon fiberglass pool with a Sta-Rite P2R5AE-124L pump pumping through a Triton TR-60 24" sand filter with 3 returns through 1.5" piping(suction piping is also 1.5").
    I'm looking at either the Hayward SP2607EE, the SP2605X7, or the Pentair Superflow #348022. Im trying to stay as efficient as possible without undersizing
    1) Without knowing my exact Total Head of Water should i go with the larger pump?
    2) Any other Pros/Cons of Hayward vs. Pentair
    3) The reason i have chose the pumps is due to the limitations of 1.5" piping with i have been told changes the efficiency/performance of the pump.
    I hope i have provided enough information
    Thanks

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Question concerning Pool Pump replacement

The *ideal* flow rate on your sand filter is 12 - 15 GPM/sft or about 48 GPM. Higher rates reduce filter effectiveness, even though all the manufacturers rate their filters at 20 or even 25 GPM/sft.

The (3) 1.5" returns don't limit you, but if you only have 1 suction return, that does limit you.

I'd recommend sizing for the lower of your filter flow (48 GPM) or your suction piping.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

All three of the pumps you mentioned should be below 48 GPM on 1.5" plumbing. The Hayward MaxFlo 3/4 HP would also work.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

I apologize for the confusing post. The Return line is a single 1.5" line into the ground that supplies 3 return jets. I also have a single 1.5" line dedicated for the Polaris pool cleaner booster pump. The suction line is 1 main drain and 1 skimmer both in 1.5" piping. Sorry for the confusion. I plan on replacing the suction piping on the skid to 2" when i plumb the new pump to reduce head loss through fittings. Thanks for the help
    25k gal FG pool; Sta-Rite P2R5AE-124L pump pump; Pentair TR-60 24" sand filter; 3 returns via one 1.5" pipe; suction piping is two 1.5" lines

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

The fact that you have a single return line effectively limits you to ~45 GPM; that rate matches well with your filter.

The Hayward MaxFlo XL that Mark mentioned is a good option; it's available in a 2-speed model that will save you quite a bit of money: Hayward SP2307X102 1 HP Max-Flo XL Dual-Speed Medium Head Pump

The flow rates match your setup well:

Complete info here: MaxFlo XL @ Hayward-pool.net

You may need to install a heavy duty 3-way toggle switch for the pump, to allow you to switch speeds: I can't tell if the motor comes with a mounted switch or not.

If you are going to purchase the pump directly, you probably want to rule out Pentair pumps: they've reduced the warranty on their products to 30 days, when sold directly to the end-user.

I have not looked much into the 2 speed pumps assuming that i have too great an amount of head loss to move enough water for it to be beneficial. I know most of the 2 speeds come in 2" discharge and since i will not be replacing all of the pipe i figured that i'd be better with an energy efficient single speed. I was running the previous pump 8 hrs. a day and had no issues with water quality, but was wanting to possibly go with a smaller pump if I could and save some $$. I'm pretty sure the pumps i looked at would be under the ~45GPM, but i was concerned with having to run the smaller pump that much more to turn over the same amount of water due to the lower flow because of head loss. I guess my question is how can i estimate which pump will put at closer to the 45 gpm optimal flow? The Hayward SP2607EE or the SP2605X7? If it were the 2607EE i was going to go with the pentair due to the greater motor efficency, price, and the flow is a little greater. The more i research the more confused i get. LOL
    25k gal FG pool; Sta-Rite P2R5AE-124L pump pump; Pentair TR-60 24" sand filter; 3 returns via one 1.5" pipe; suction piping is two 1.5" lines

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

The only issue with the two speed is that the minimum pump size is 1 HP which would probably exceed 48 GPM on high speed. However, if you rarely use it on high speed, then maybe it isn't a huge issue.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Good point.

There are two ways to fix that:

1. Install a valve between the pump and the filter, and throttle the flow on high to 45 GPM or less. (or just, to the point where sand no longer backwashes out of the filter!) Throttling like this will have almost no effect on the low speed flow.

2. Order and install the 3/4 HP impeller -- part number SPX2700C. This is the only part that would need to be changed. This change would deliver a 3/4HP 2 speed pump, with a slightly oversized motor, but the actual electrical consumption would be almost identical to a purpose built 3/4HP 2 speed (which Hayward doesn't make). The motor might even last longer, since it would have less tendency to overheat.

Parts guide: https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/Par...Max-Flo-XL.pdf

I don't think i'm gonna the route of the 2 speed. I'm going to need a pump i can get running fairly quickly and with the added cost of the extra impeller, switch, etc. i've decided to go with a single speed. Was there a reason for the recomendation of the MaxFlow XL? I've looked at the specs on that one vs. the Superpump and the only difference i see is about a 25$ cost difference and a different lookin pump that flows slightly less with a smaller strainer baske. Is there something im not seeing. I've narrowed it down to either the Pentair Superflow 348021 or 348022 because they are about 100$ less than comparable Hayward. Between these two which do y'all think will be better for my setup considering i don't know my total head therefore don't know which pump will put me around 45gpm. Thanks for all yalls help

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

By the way, whenever new members post, their posts go into a moderation queue to wait until one of us reads it and approves it before it will appear on the forum. We try to do it as quickly as possible but sometimes it may be a little while til we get to it. But, never fear, we will!

(I deleted your duplicate posts.)

+ Reply to Thread