+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water/Chemicals (Newbie)

Default Water/Chemicals (Newbie)

We just purchased our first pool, its an AG. We presently own a hot tub and have for the last 2 years. I have pretty much got my head around the chemicals and maintenance of the tub. My question is with a pool its not as easy to correct mistakes. IE you can easily drain and refill.

How do you manage TDS levels in pools. I think the other stuff will be somewhat easy to control or figure out. But does the TDS ever reach its peak? I have never heard of anyone draining a pool unless they are replacing the liner etc.

Thanks

duraleigh Guest

Hopefully, you're thinking way,way ahead. TDS does continue to accumulate in a pool but with partial refills, rain, winterizing, splashout, etc. it normally is a very long-term, if ever, issue. (unless you have an indoor pool)

In the event you ever had a TDS of over maybe 400 or so, you may want to do a partial drain and refill. I have never seen a post on this forum where they actually needed to do that. Others here may have a better memory than me, however.

Dave S.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

TDS? Waste of time--don't worry about it. If your calcium hardness hits 500 (400 in a concrete/plaster pool), then worry. People with SWGs have lots and lots of salt dissolved into THEIR water--that's what makes the SWG able to work.

Pay attention to FC, CC, TC, pH, TA, Ca and CYA and you'll be fine.
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

pool store keeps testing my TDS above 4000ppm! I have a salt system with salt levels of 3200-3400 ppm and if my understanding from my college chemistry (It was my major for 3.5 years) is correct part of what they are reading is the salt in my pool. This is a new pool (in operation since last November) and I have noticed my TDS readings at the pool store have changed along with my salt readings by an almost similar amount. I would not worry about TDS unless your pool has been in operation for many years and you are having water balancing problems.

If I am wrong here someone PLEASE correct me becuase it means I have a MAJOR problem with my pool or fill water!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

You only have a major problem if you believe the pool store guy!

Don't worry! The salt IS part of TDS--that's why TDS is BS.
    Carl

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    You only have a major problem if you believe the pool store guy!

If I believed the pool store guy would I be spending so much time in this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    If I believed the pool store guy would I be spending so much time in this forum?
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread