+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sand for sand filter...obtaining proper kind

Default Sand for sand filter...obtaining proper kind

I am considering replacing our old, very old, DE filters for our 66,000 gal outdoor pool with a large Pentair TR-140.

Is a special sand required. It has been suggested that I can simply used washed bagged sand such as you could purchase at Mendards.

Perhaps this would work, but isn't there properly sized sand that would be preferable?

Ron

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Sand for sand filter...obtaining proper kind

You definitely need to use pool sand instead of play sand or some other type. You'll probably have to get it from a pool store.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

I see that Ace Hardware, on their corporate web page offers 'Aqua Quartz® 50lbs Pool Filter Sand (61308)'. I am going to look further, one would think that since the Pentair Triton TR140C requires 275# of pea gravel and 650# of filter sand that this would be easily found.

I also see there is a alternative material called 'Zeolite'. I am not sure of this is worthwhile. Anyone using this?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

There are a few through the years who have tried Zeobrite including one of the other moderators but I think overall the consensus has been to just stick with pool sand.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. As far as I know, any labeled "filter sand" should be OK. Obviously, there could be exceptions, but I don't recall hearing of problems.

2. Do NOT use sandblast sand (typically, too coarse) or 'play sand'. Play sand and masonry sand usually has too many 'fines', and will plug the laterals and damage the multiport valve.

3. Be careful with your pump sizing, and piping. A TR-140 needs 100 GPM to properly backwash. Very old pools often have undersized piping. If you try to backwash a TR-140 with, say, 60 GPM, you'll fail to clean the sand fully, and will gradually loose filter capacity. There's no point in installing a filter that is too large for you to successfully backwash.

+ Reply to Thread