+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cal hypo tablets...

Default Cal hypo tablets...

I was at Walmart today and saw something new....
    Cal-hypo extended release tablets for skimmers.

I've never seen cal-hypo in tablets, and I've seen references here that it was not available in tab form. I don't remember the exact concentration or %; I do remember it only said it contained Cal-hypo and inert ingredients.

Could one of these be put in a floater that was tethered in the area of the return stream, but away from the edge? As extra insurance while on vacation or whenever I can't be sure my SWCG is keeping up*

Thanks for the help...

*which happens every so often, for seemingly no real reason.... Well one good reason is that it's an Intex, so it's not adjustable, except for running time... but the problem is usually easily overcome with some bleach or cal-hypo powder, and then seems to disappear for a few weeks or a month ...Overall, a topic for a different post
    🌵April
    🔵20' Intex; 16" sand filter; Intex SWCG (-copper); 60ppm borates

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Cal hypo tablets...

Cal hypo tablets have been around, but are rarely available. Best check the ingredient list CAREFULLY, however.

As far as lasting, when you're away from the pool, I haven't tested, but I'd guess trichlor tabs would last longer.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

There are two types of Cal- hypo tabs: encased and solid. The encased ones are in plastic tube with holes in it. I've never had a chance to use them but I did have the others once. They were dreadful, turning to mush and clogging my skimmer in about a day. If you do use a floater, do NOT use one that has had Tri-chlor in it. Potentially dangerous. Buy a new one because they are usually cheap enough, around $10.
    Carl

Hi! I keep seeing your name as being "online". Do you have any questions? Hope all is well!
    26K gal 20x40 rectangular IG vinyl pool; Apr 2014: New pump, liner, auto-cover, & water; Pentair Whisperflo 1HP pump; Pentair Trition sand filter; Cover/Star CS-500 auto cover; Taylor K-2006C; OTO

+ Reply to Thread