+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cya & chlorine levels

Default cya & chlorine levels

First year not using easy pool. Trying to understand how to calculate cya levels to know how much chlorine to add. Bought the taylor kit so it says cya is at 30 ppm and fc is at barely 1. I have above ground pool that holds 17k gallons of water. According to the handy chart if my cya is 30 ppm i should have between a 3-6 on the chlorine? How do i determine how much chlorine to add? Sorry in advance for the dumb questions. Thx

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: cya & chlorine levels

With 17K gallons, your PF is 7. Calculate doses like this:

active% x pounds chemical x PF = ppm change

eg: 1.00 (cyanuric acid) x 1 pound x 7 = 7 ppm (per pound of CYA added)
    eg. 0.55 (% chlorine in dichlor) x 1 pound x 7 = 3.85 ppm (chlorine per pound of dichlor added)
    eg. 0.50 (% stabilizer in dichlor) x 1 pound x 7 = 3.5 ppm (stabilizer per pound of dichlor added)

8% plain household bleach has about 0.7 lbs of chlorine gas equivalent, so:

eg. 1.00 (% chlorine in chlorine gas) x 0.7 lbs Cl2 (per gal 8% bleach) x 7 = ~4.9 ppm (chlorine per gallon of 8% bleach added)

I love math and knowing how to calculate everything, but I find it much easier to go to poolcalculator.com and use the tools there... Especially the last one on the page which tells you the effect of adding X amount of chemical Y to your pool (just make sure to input your pool size in gallons at the top).
    -Eric B. 16x32 rect 14,364 gal AG (Intex Ultra Frame); 14 in sand filter; 1 HP 2800 GPH pump; 8 hrs; Taylor K-2006c, utility water, debris cover
    @Best Guess chart http://pool9.net/cl-cya @K2006 http://pool9.net/testkits

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Another calculator that many of us like better can be found at the following link. I know that a lot of people do use the calculator that Themadczar mentioned above but it sometimes encourages people to put in a lot of a chemical to try and get to the target in one large dose rather than sneaking up on the target like we prefer.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...18-bleach-calc

+ Reply to Thread