+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Newbie - with cloudy pool

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Newbie - with cloudy pool

Last edited by PoolDoc; 05-02-2014 at 04:06 PM. Reason: update photos

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I got the photos, but misplaced them -- for some reason, Gmail has stopped flagging emails with attachments.

I didn't post the photo of the filter label; it wasn't large enough or focused well enough to be able to read the label . . . so what model Hayward is it?

The other photo is of the pump MOTOR, not the actual pump, which is the wet end. You have an uprate 2 HP motor, which is the same as a full rate 1.5 HP motor. Assuming you have a 24" filter, your pump is probably much too large. But you'll need to send a photo of the pump, before I can tell for sure.

I will get a picture of the filter label tonight when I get off work. When the installer tried a smaller pump, it did not circulate the water in my pool well enough which is why they went to a bigger pump. (Did I have someone totally clueless install this pool?)
    True L 16x36x41 vinyl 32K gal pool; PF=3.8

What do you mean, "it did not circulate the water in my pool well enough"?

Default Update .. Newbie - with cloudy pool

I sent another picture of my filter a couple of days ago to your email address. Thanks. My water is clear at this point. Just need to get it vacuumed this weekend and the walls cleaned. The walls seem to have a gritty, dingy film covering them almost like sandpaper. Going to try to figure out what that is...any ideas? I will also retest water tonight and post new results.

I read about the sand algae. Am I understanding correctly that I need to lower my ph to 6.8-7.2 mad it will go away without scrubbing the walls? How long does it normally take to clear up? Also, do you need to stay out of the pool while waiting on this to clear? Thanks!

I've really appreciated the help this year!!

Yes, lower the pH . . . AND areate. You want to strip alkalinity. A lower pH + low alkalinity environment will soften and dissolve the particles.

You can swim while this is going on; I don't know how long it will take, but more than a week. You do NOT want to speed it up, by pushing the pH to, say, 5.0. Doing that will damage your liner.

+ Reply to Thread