+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Accidentally added salt while in boost mode

Default Accidentally added salt while in boost mode

Just got back from pool dealer and needed to add one bag of salt and stabilizer. We had turned the pool up to65% and kicked in boost about 5 yesterday. My dh came in and went ahead and poured the salt in and then was going to walk to unit and turn to 00. It won't let him because it's still in boost. We tried turning the unit off and on a couple of times and it still is in boost.

Now I am scared we are going to fry the board. Help! How can I force boost off or should we just ride it out? TIA!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Accidentally added salt while in boost mode

I don't think adding a bag of salt is going to 'fry' your SWCG.

But, you'd be much better off replacing "BOOST" with a gallon of plain 8% household bleach. The boost mode results in accelerated wear on the cell, PLUS you get much faster chlorine addition using bleach.

Google saved me! Hold temp button for 10 seconds to turn off just like you do to turn on!!

I will remember that about the bleach. Last year we had to replace the swg and something else... I just need a pool boy! Already have to get a new booster pump for the Polaris... Didn't last 5 yrs.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Some brands like Autopilot can compensate for very high salt levels. Ideal for the Autopilot is 3000ppm but it can handle up to 35000 ppm...but I don't think it's a great idea to test it!
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    I don't think adding a bag of salt is going to 'fry' your SWCG.

But, you'd be much better off replacing "BOOST" with a gallon of plain 8% household bleach. The boost mode results in accelerated wear on the cell, PLUS you get much faster chlorine addition using bleach.
    +1

I learned this the hard way.

Since having to replace the first cell prematurely (it lasted 4 seasons; there was some warranty left which helped offset some of the cost), I've only used the second cell to maintain chlorine levels and use plain bleach to boost/shock. So far the second cell has lasted much longer than the first.....6 seasons so far....hopefully I didn't just jinx myself and it will be good for this season as well
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

+ Reply to Thread