+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing sand

Default Replacing sand

I am going to replace the sand in my pump and had a few questions.

1. Should I get my water clear before changing or do it while the water is cloudy?

2. Can you layer D.E. when I am filling the pump with new sand? i.e. load some sand then put some D.E. in then more sand?

3. The label on the pump says 300lbs. Will it take more than this to refill?

Any tips or tricks anyone can pass along would be great! This is my first time changing out the sand.

Thanks!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Replacing sand

First, Why are you changing the sand in the filter? This is usually unneccessary.

I would NOT layer DE in the sand, you won't be able to backwash it out and the filter will clog requiring sand replacement.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

That was my first question as well: Why are you replacing the sand? Unless you gummed it up with something, old sand filters better than new sand.

The MOST DE you'll ever use is 1/3 to 1/2 cup, added to the pool via the skimmer, and only after your pump and filter are running normally.
    Carl

The sand is at least 8 years old, as long as we have lived there. Probably more like 13 to 14 years old to be honest. I thought I had read where you should change out sand every 5 to 6 years.

Thank you for the advice on the DE. Will use the method I have read about in other threads.

Thanks again.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

My sand is 12 years old. The older the sand is, the better it filters (unless you gum it up). It's TRULY a case, with sand filters and their sand, if it ain't broke, don't go fixin' it!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread