+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I Like The Smell

Default I Like The Smell

Okay, this might be a little weird, but while I am planning on redirecting my approach to working my pool chemistry, I wonder if the pool will continue to SMELL like a chlorine pool? I like the smell and wonder if the aroma will remain. :-D

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: I Like The Smell

Combined chlorine is what usually gives a pool that "chlorine smell" along with red eyes and itchy skin so that is often a sign of water issues and not something most people want.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

If you churn the surface of the water you may smell a very faint chlorine smell that is like a bleach smell. The chloramines smell different. In fact, it's even less likely you'll smell monochloramine unless the concentration gets rather high. The "bad pool smell" is usually dichloramine and if it's irritating it's usually nitrogen trichloride.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

I have to admit I like that smell also. It's probably a mental association with good experiences at public pools. My pool doesn't have the smell, I presume because I'm usually on top of the chemistry.
    rectangle 11.5K gal IG concrete pool;; 125sf cartridge filter; 2hp 1 speed pump; K-2006, k-1766; PF:10

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I like it when I don't smell anything, and the FC is fairly high. If you want to smell "chlorine", stick your hand in up to the elbow and when you pull it out, you'll smell the "chlorine" as the FC attacks the dirt, sweat, flaking skin, oils, etc on your arm.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread